UNDERDEVELOPMENT OF RURAL TOURISM IN SERBIA: CAUSES, CONSEQUENCES AND POSSIBLE DIRECTIONS OF DEVELOPMENT
The aim of this paper is to analyze the development of rural tourism in Serbia. The paper uses the method of survey research, analysis, synthesis, comparative and statistical methods. The author concludes that rural tourism in Serbia is underdeveloped. The reasons for this are numerous, and they primarily relate to problems and limitations in the development of supply, but also to the lack of demand. The consequences are the economic and social decline of rural areas. In order to develop rural tourism in Serbia, it is necessary to adopt new strategic documents, regulations and provide favorable continuous sources of financing for the development of all segments of the offer. For the purpose of balanced rural development, it is necessary to form an association at the national level, which should have branches in all administrative districts and play a key role in the further development of rural tourism in Serbia.
2. Bakić, O, & Hrabovski-Tomić, E. (2010). Tourism - Concepts, Effects, Functioning, Educons University, Faculty of Business Economics, Sremska Kamenica.
3. Balaban, M, Župljanin, S. & Nešović, D. (2019). Regional sustainability of local and rural development, Economics of Agriculture, 66(4), 1173-1186. doi:10.5937/ekoPolj1904173B.
4. Bartlet, T. (2006). Rural Tourism development in Europa, International Forum on Rural Tourism, China, 4-6 September 2006, Final Report World Tourism Organization.
5. Bošković, N. (2003). Dynamic Changes in World Rural Tourism Development, Proceedings, Second Forum: Rural Tourism and the Sustainable Development of the Balkans, Kragujevac, 7-9. May 2003, 63-68.
6. Census of Agriculture 2012 - Agriculture in the Republic of Serbia (2012). Volume II, National Institute for Statistics, Belgrade.
7. Bošković, T, Andrić N. & Tomić, D. (2011). Human and financial resources – factors in the development of rural tourism in AP Vojvodina, Business school, (No.2), 32- 41.
8. Bošković, T. & Maksimović, B. (2017). Development of agritourism in rural regions of the Autonomous Province of Vojvodina: Possibilities and Advantages, Agroekonomika 46(76), 35-46.
9. Chroneos-Krasavac, B, Radosavljević, K. & Bradić-Martinović, A. (2018). SWOT analysis of the rural tourism as a channel of marketing for agricultural products in Serbia, Economics of Agriculture, 65(4), 1573-1584. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5937/ekoPolj1804573K.
10. Cvijanović, D, Radović, G. & Cvijanović, G. (2016). Resources and the rural tourism development in the Republic of Serbia, Horizons International Scientific Journal, X (20), 41-51.
11. Čikić, J, Petrović, M. & Đurđev, B. (2015). Diffusion of knowledge and rural tourism development –example of Vojvodina, Economics of Agriculture, 62(1), 123-136. DOI: .https://doi.org/10.5937/ekoPolj1501123C.
12. Dedeić, D. (2015). The role of tourism in poverty reduction in Serbia, TIMS Acta (No. 9), 25-36.
13. .Demirović, D, Njegovan, N. & Glavaš-Trbić. D. (2018). Motivation factors in rural tourism, Agroekonomika, 47(80), 65-74.
14. Durkalić, D., Furtula, S., & Borisavljević, K. (2019). Ranking tourism market performance in EMU countries: Results of PROMETHEE-GAIA approach. Hotel and Tourism Management, 7(2), 67-76, doi: 10.5937/menhottur1902067D
15. Gajić, T, Vujko, A, Penić, M, Petrović, M, D. & Mrkša, M. (2017). Significant involvement of agricultural holdings in rural tourism development in Serbia, Economics of Agriculture, 64(3), 901-918. DOI: .https://doi.org/10.5937/ekoPolj1703901G.
16. Ilić, B, Đukić, G. & Balaban, M. (2020). Sustainable development directions of rural tourism of Timok region, Economics of Agriculture, 67(1), 157-174. doi:10.5937/ekoPolj2001157I.
17. Jegdić, V, Škrbić, I. & Milošević, S. (2017). Models of entreprenurship development in rural tourism destinations in Vojvodina, Economics of Agriculture, 64(1), 227- 237. DOI: .https://doi.org/10.5937/ekoPolj1701221J.
18. Jević, J, Čerović, S, Jević, G. & Čavlin, M. (2019). Accessible tourism as the factor in creating the image of Serbian wineries as as segment of agritourism supply, Economics of Agriculture, 66(4), 1157-1171. DOI: .https://doi.org/10.5937/ekoPolj1904157J.
19. Krejić, Ž, Milićević, S. & Anđelković, M. (2019). The opportunities of development of rural tourism in Vojvodina, Agroekonomika, 48(84), 47-54.
20. Lakićević, M., Žarevac, M. (2014). Tourism thought as a factor of tourism development in Serbia, Hotel and Tourism Management, 2(1), 29-37.
21. Law on Tourism, Offcial Gazette of the Repof Serbia no. 17/2019.
22. Matić, N, Đorđević, S. & Vujić, M. (2019). Contemporary basis of rural tourism development in Šumadija district, Economics of Agriculture, 66(3), 869-888. DOI:https://doi.org/10.5937/ekoPolj1903869M.
23. Matijašević-Obradović, J. (2016). Legal and strategic framework for promotion of tourism and agritourism in Serbia, Agroekonomika 45(69), 35-46.
24. Matijašević-Obradović, J. (2017). The importance of environmental protection for development of ecotourism in Serbia, Agroekonomika 46(75), 21-30.
25. Milićević, S, Đorđević, N. & Krejić, Ž. (2020). Research on tourists’ attitudes on the potential of Goč mountain for the development of eco-tourism, Economics of Agriculture, 67(1), 223-238. DOI: .https://doi.org/10.5937/ekoPolj2001223M.
26. Milenković, S. (2009). Turizam i ekonomija, Univerzitet u Kragujevcu, Ekonomski fakultet.
27. Mirčetić, V, Vukotić, S. & Cvijanović, D. (2019). The concept of business clusters and its impaction tourism business improvement, Economics of Agriculture, 66(3), 851-868. DOI:https://doi.org/10.5937/ekoPolj1903851M.
28. Muhi, B. (2013). Rural tourism as a part of integral and sustainable development of villages in Vojvodina, Zbornik Matice srpske za društvene nauke, No. (142), 129-137.
29. Otović, S, Demirović, D, Košić, K. & Miličić, Ž. (2018). Entrepreneurship and rural tourim,, Agroekonomika 47(78), 41-52.
30. Pavlović, S. & Čavlin, G. (2014). Competitiveness of destinations within the rural tourism cluster: Zlatar, Zlatibor, Economics of Agriculture, 61(3), 603-614.
31. Pejanović, R. (2018). Contemporary problems of agriculture and the countryside in the Republic of Serbia, Agroekonomika 47(81), 15-25.
32. Petrović, N. (2016). Evaluation of tourist offer by rural households in Srem region, Agroekonomika 45(72), 41-49.
33. Petrović, M, D, Vujko, A, Gajić, T, Vuković, D, B, Radovanović, M, Jovanović, J, M. & Vuković, N. (2018). Tourism as an Approach to Sustainable Rural Development in Post-Socialist Countries: A Comparative Study of Serbia and Slovenia, Sustainability 10 (1), 1-14. https://doi.org/10.3390/su10010054.
34. Popescu, G., & Andrei, J. (2011). From industrial holdings to subsistence farms in Romanian agriculture. Analyzing the subsistence components of CAP. Agricultural Economics, 57(11), 555-564.
35. Program for the development of sustainable rural tourism in the Republic of Serbia, Official Gazette of the Republic of Serbia No. 85/2011.
36. Radović, G. (2016). Sources of finance for rural tourism in the Republic of Serbia, Economics of Agriculture, 63(3), 1053-1065. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5937/ekoPolj1603053R.
37. Radović, G. (2017). Experience of foreign countries in rural tourism development - lessons for Serbia, In: Thematic Proceedings II: Tourism in function of development of the Republic of Serbia, 2nd International Scientifc Conference, 1-3 June, 2017, Vrnjačka Banja, Serbia, University of Kragujevac, Faculty of hotel management and tourism in Vrnjačka Banja, 429-443.
38. Roberts, L, Mitchell, M & Hall, D. (2005). New Directions in Rural Tourism: Local Impacts and Global Trends, in New Directions in Rural Tourism, Hall D, Roberts L. & Mitchell M. (eds), Ashgate Publishing Limited, Aldershot, England, 225-233.
39. Roşu, E. & Voicilaş, D-M. (2019). The Competitiveness of Tourism in Romania after EU Accession – Regional Analysis, Economics of Agriculture, 66 (4), 1023- 1038. DOI:https://doi.org/10.5937/ekoPolj1904023R.
40. Rural Tourism of Serbia, Retrieved from http://www.selo.co.rs (April, 15 2020)
41. Sagić, Z, Lakićević, M. & Durkalić, D. (2019). Analysis of tourist turnover in a rural tourism destination – case study of Ivanjica, Economics of Agriculture, 66(3), 835-850. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5937/ekoPolj1903835S.
42. Sin, A, Nowak, Cz, Bogusz, M, Kowalska, M. & Janigová, E. (2020). Innovations in rural tourism in Poland and Romania, Economics of Agriculture, 67(2), 623-633. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5937/ekoPolj2002623S.
43. Tourism Development Strategy of the Republic of Serbia for the period from 2016 to 2025, Offcial Gazette of RS No. 98/2016.
44. Vujko, A, Petrović, M, D, Dragosavac, M. & Gajić, T. (2016). Differences and similarities among rural tourism in Slovenia and Serbia – perceptions of the local tourism workers, Economics of Agriculture, 63(4), 1459-1469. DOI: 10.5937/ekoPolj1604459V.
45. Vujko, A, Petrović, M, D, Demirović, D. & Racković, I. (2017). Evaluation of tourism development on traditional farms (salaši) of the Bačka region, Agroekonomika 46(75), 53-61.
46. Vujko, A, Demirović, D, Petrović, M, D. & Dupljanin, D. (2018). Tourism as a development factor of rural area in Šabac municipality, Agroekonomika 47(80), 75-83.