TERRITORIAL APPROACH TO REGIONAL RURAL DEVELOPMENT
The paper reviews some of the key principles of a territorial approach to rural development and particular aspects of regional rural development. Some features of the EU Leader initiative were analysed as examples of the approach, and the social context and factors which may affect the application of these features in regional rural development were identifed. The paper concludes by emphasising the need for different rural policies and preconditions for implementing the territorial approach. Moreover, available resources of rural areas were emphasised as well as the need for perceiving rural areas as (valuable) resources (not as issues), particularly in the context of Serbian rural development processes.
2. Böcher, M. (2008): Regional governance and rural development in Germany: the implementation of LEADER+, Sociologia Ruralis, Vol. 48 (4), p. 372-388.
3. Bogdanov, N. (2007): Mala ruralna domaćinstva u Srbiji i ruralna nepoljoprivredna ekonomija, UNDP, Beograd.
4. Bruckmeier, K. (2000): LEADER in Germany and the discourse of autonomous regional development, Sociologia Ruralis, Vol. 40 (2), p. 219-227.
5. Buller, H. (2000): Re-Creating rural territories: LEADER in France, Sociologia Ruralis, Vol. 40 (2), p. 190-199.
6. De Janvry, A., Sadoulet, E. (2005): Achieving success in rural development: toward implementation of an integral approach,Agricultural Economics, Vol. 32 (1), p. 75–89.
7. De Janvry, A., Sadoulet E. (2007): Toward a territorial approach to rural development, eJADE, Vol. 4 (1), p. 66-98.
8. Esparcia, J. P. (2000): The Leader programme and the rise of rural development in Spain, Sociologia Ruralis, Vol. 40 (2), p. 200-207.
9. Furmankiewicz, M., Thompson, N., Zielińska M. (2010): Area-based partnerships in rural Poland: The post-accession experience, Journal of Rural Studies, Vol. 26, p. 52-62.
10. EU Commission (2003): Ex-post Evaluation of the Community Initiative LEADER II, http://ec.europa.eu/agriculture/eval/reports/leader2/full1.pdf (approached 19.01.2010.).
11. Goodwin, M. (1998): The governance of rural areas: some emerging research issues and agendas, Journal of Rural Studies, Vol. 14 (1), p. 5-12.
12. Hillyard, S. (2007): The sociology of rural life, Berg, Oxford, New York.
13. Kovách, I. (2000): LEADER: a new social order, and the Central- and East-European countries, Sociologia Ruralis, Vol. 40 (2), p. 181-189.
14. LEADER European Observatory (1999): Territorial competitiveness. Creating a territorial development strategy in light of the LEADER experience, “RURAL INNOVATION”. DOSSIER N° 6 – PART 1.
15. Mardsen, T. (1998): New rural territories: regulating the differentiated rural spaces, Journal of Rural Studies, Vol. 14 (1), p. 107-117.
16. Marsden, T. (1999): Rural futures: the consumption countryside and its regulation, Sociologia Ruralis, Vol. 39 (4), p. 501-526.
17. Moseley, M. (2003): Rural development. Principles and Practice, SAGE Publications.
18. Moseley, M. (ed.) (2003): Local partnerships for rural development – The European experience, CABI Publishing.
19. Müller, C. (1998): Von der lokalen Ökonomie zum globalisierten Dorf, Bäuerliche Überlebensstrategien zwichen Weltmarktintegration und Regionalizierung, Campus Verlag, Frankfurt.
20. Murdoch, J., Lowe, P., Ward, N., Marsden, T. (2003): The differentiated countryside, Routledge, London.
21. MPŠV R. Srbije (2009): Plan strategije ruralnog razvoja Srbije 2009-2013, Beograd.
22. Osti, G. (2000): LEADER and partnerships: the case of Italy, Sociologia Ruralis, Vol. 40. (2), p. 172-180.
23. Ploeg, J. D. van der, Renting, H., Brunori, G., Knickel, K., Mannion, J., Marsden, T., de Roest, K., Sevilla-Guzmán, E., Ventura, F. (2000): Rural development: from practices and policies towards theory, Sociologia Ruralis, Vol 40 (4), p. 391-408.
24. Rauch, T. Bartels, M., Engel, A. (2001): Regional rural development: a regional response to rural poverty, GTZ-BMZ, Universum Verlagsanstalt, Wiesbaden.
25. Ray, C. (2000): The EU LEADER Programme: Rural Development Laboratory, Sociologia Ruralis,Vol. 40 (2), p. 163-171.
26. Ray, C. (2006): Culture Economies: a perspective on local rural development in Europe, Centre for Rural Economy, Newcastle.
27. Shucksmith, M., Cameron, S., Merridew T. (2006): First European Quality of Life Survey: Urban–rural differences, European Foundation for the Improvement of Living and Working Conditions.
28. Shucksmith, M., Thomson, K. J., Roberts, D. (ed.) (2005): The CAP and the regions – Territorial impact of the common agricultural policy, CABI Publishing, Oxfordshire, Cambridge.
29. Thuesen, A. A. (2009): Is LEADER elitist of inclusive? Composition of Danish LAG boards in the 2007-2013 Rural development and fsheries programmes, Sociologia Ruralis, Vol. 50 (1), p. 31-45.
30. Veselinović, P., Mićić, V., Miletić, D. (2012): Serbia – zone of poverty and social exclusion, Ekonomika poljoprivrede, Vol. 59, No. 2, p. 305-318.