A CRITICAL REVIEW OF LEGAL FRAMEWORK AS A FACTOR OF COOPS DEVELOPMENT - CASE OF SERBIA
Contemporary cooperative movement must rest on the original cooperative principles that were confrmed and modernized by the Congress of International Co-Operative Alliance held in Manchester in 1995. Development of coops legislative framework in Serbia has a long history and presently the matter of cooperatives is governed by the federal Law on Cooperatives adopted in 1996. The text analyzes the extent to which a legislative framework can be an incentive for and/or impediment to cooperatives’ operation in Serbia, and what sort of results can be expected from a modernized and improved legal framework. Interview of key players in the coop sector was one of the research methods. Other methods include historical, comparative analysis and case study. The paper includes four parts: a) historical and legal background of development of coops in Serbia; b) legislative framework; c) successful case study and d) framework for further development. The paper also analyses cooperatives within the environment of social enterprises and evaluates their role in the social inclusion process.
2. Common market organization directive (EU) 1308/2013 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 17 December 2013 establishing a common organization of the markets in agricultural products.
3. Deller, S., Hoyt, A., Hueth, B., Sundaram-Stukel, R. (2009): Research on the Economic Impact of Cooperatives, University of Wisconsin Center for Cooperatives, Madison.
4. General Assembly of the International Co-Operative Alliance (ICA), (1995), Statement on Co-operative Identity, Manchester, UK.
5. Gulan, B. (2013), Crna slika sela u Srbiji (Black Picture of the Village in Serbia), Agrobiznis, 17.04.2013, www.agrobiznis.biz.
6. Hofstede, G. (2001): Culture’s Consequences: Comparing Values, Behaviors, Institutions and Organizations Across Nations, Thousand Oaks CA: Sage Publications
7. Iliopoulos, C. (2013): Public Policy Support For Agricultural Cooperatives: An Organizational Economics Approach, Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics, John Wiley and Sons, Oxford, Vol. 84, No. 3, pp. 241–252
8. Janićijević, N. (2008): Organizaciono ponašanje (Organizational Behavior), Data Status, Beograd
9. Mijatović, B., Paunović, M., Kovačević, V. (2012): Social Entrepreneurship in Serbia, Center for Liberal Democratic Studies, Belgrade
10. Nacrt Zakona o zadrugama (Draft Law on Cooperatives) (2015): available at: http://www.privreda.gov.rs/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Nacrt-Zakona-O-Zadrugama1.pdf (accessed: 4.10.2015)
11. Narodna Skupština Republike Srbije (2006): Ustav Republike Srbije, Službeni. Glasnik RS, br. 98/2006 (National Assembley of the Republic of Serbia, 2006, Constitution of the Republic of Serbia, RS Offcial Gazzette, No. 98/2006)
12. Osnovni zakon o zemljoradničkim zadrugama (1949): Službeni list FNRJ, 6. jun (Basic Law on Farm Cooperatives, Offcial Gazette of the Federal Republic of Yugoslavia, June 6, 1949F)
13. Ševarlić, M. (2012): Strategy for the Development of Agricultural Cooperatives in the Republic of Serbia, Serbian Association of Agricultural Economists (DAES), Beograd
14. Social Inclusion and Poverty Reduction Unit and Republic Statistical Offce (2012): Monitoring Social Inclusion in Serbia, Republic of Serbia, Belgrade
15. Šunderić, Z. (2008): From Poverty Reduction to Social Inclusion: Improved Delivery of Government Policy, Social Inclusion and Poverty Reduction Unit, Republic of Serbia, Belgrade
16. USAID Agribusiness project (2008): Vegetable Value Chain Assesment, http://www.docstoc.com/docs/40456537/VEGETABLE-VALUE-CHAIN-ASSESSMENT accessedon 22/05/2014
17. Valentinov, V. (2007): Why are cooperatives important in agriculture? An organizational economics perspective, Journal of Institutional Economics, Volume 3, No. 01, pp 55 – 69
18. Zadružni savez Srbije (2012): Vodič kroz zemljoradničko zadrugarstvo (Guide through Farmers’ Cooperatives), Beograd
19. Zakić, Z., Stojanović, Ž. (2009): Ekonomika agrara (Economics of Agriculture), CID, Ekonomski fakultet Univerziteta u Beogradu, Belgrade
20. Zakon o zadrugama (1990): Službeni glasnik SRJ, broj 57/89,67/93, 46/95, 101/05 (Law on cooperatives, , Offcial Gazette of the Federal Republic of Yugoslavia, No. 57/89, 67/93, 46/95 and 101/05)
21. Zakon o udruženom radu (1976): Službeni glasnik broj 53/764, 3. decembar, (Law on Associated Labour, Offcial Gazette of the Socialistic Federal Republic of Yugoslavia, No 53/764, 3rd of December)
22. Zakon o zadrugama (1996): Službeni list SRJ, broj 41/96, 12/98 (Law on cooperatives, Offcial Gazette of the Federal Republic of Yugoslavia, No. 41/96 and 12/98)