ECONOMIC CHARACTERISTICS OF SOUR CREAM PRODUCTION IN SMALL-SCALE DAIRY PROCESSORS IN SERBIA
In Serbia small family households dominate in milk production, while large-scale capacity dairies dominate in milk processing. There are over 200 dairy processing plants, and currently they manufacture about 80% of all dairy products. In this race small-scale dairies are lagging behind. The aim of this paper is to investigate economic characteristics of processing milk into sour cream in small-scale dairy processors in Serbia. The research showed that the cost price of sour cream with a minimum of 20% milk fat is 68.96 RSD/kg. The largest share in total costs has costs of raw material accout for 44.11% and labor costs for 38.79%, while the remaining costs are packaging, transport and other overheads. In order for small-scale capacity dairies to compete with larger-scale capacity dairies, both in product quality and price, it is necessary to continuously monitor and minimize production costs.
2. European statistics (EUROSTAT), Electronic database, Retrieved from https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/ (July 07, 2019).
3. Glavaš – Trbić, D., Maksimović, G. (2013). Factors of agribusiness competitiveness of the Republic of Serbia. International Scientific Conference „Sustainable Agriculture and Rural Development in Terms of the Republic of Serbia Strategic Goals Realization within the Danube Region –achievingregional competitiveness“, Thematic Proceedings, December 5-7 2013, Topola, Institute of Agricultural Economics, Belgrade, Serbia, pp.141-157.
4. Jakšić, D., Mijić, K., Zekić, S., Poljašević, J. (2015). Comparative profitability analysis of milk production companies to milk processing companies in Serbia. Custos e @gronegovion on line, 11(3), 206-226.
5. Marko, J., Jovanović, M, Tica, N. (1998). Calculations in agriculture. University of Novi Sad, Faculty of Agriculture, Novi Sad. [in Serbian: Marko, J., Jovanović, M, Tica, N. (1998). Kalkulacije u poljoprivredi].
6. Milić, D., Glavaš-Trbić, D., Tomaš Simin, M., Zekić, V., Novaković, T. (2019). Economic charachteristics of yogurt production in a small capacity dairies in Serbia. Agroeconomics, 48(84), in press. [in Serbian: Milić, D., Glavaš-Trbić, D., Tomaš Simin, M., Zekić, V., Novaković, T. (2019). Ekonomska obeležja proizvodnje jogurta u mlekarama malog kapaciteta u Srbiji].
7. Popović Vranješ, A., Krstović, S., Jurakić, Ž., Popović, M., Šaran, M., Vlahović, B. (2017). Models of small cheese producing plants. Agroeconomics, 46(76), 67-78. [in Serbian: Popović Vranješ, A., Krstović, S., Jurakić, Ž., Popović, M., Šaran, M., Vlahović, B. (2017). Modeli malih pogona za proizvodnju sira].
8. Popović, R., Panić, D. (2018). Technical efficiencyof Serbian dairy processing industry. Economics of Agriculture, 65(2), 569-581.
9. Ščetar, M., Barukčić, I., Kurek, M., Jakopović, K.L., Božanić, R., Galić, K. (2018). Packaging perspective of milk and dairy products. Mljekarstvo, 69(1), 3-20.
10. Špička, J., Sumtka, L., Selby, R. (2015). Recent areas of innovation activities in the Czech dairy industry. Agri.Econ, 61(6), 249-264.
11. The Statistical Office of the Republic of Serbia, Electronic database, Retrieved from www.stat.gov.rs (July 04, 2019).
12. Veljković, B., Koprivica, R., Radivojević, D., Mileusnić, Z. (2015). Milk and dairy products in the foreign trade balance of Serbia. Agroeconomics, 44(66), 1-12. [in Serbian: Veljković, B., Koprivica, R., Radivojević, D., Mileusnić, Z. (2015). Mleko i mlečni proizvodi u spoljnotrgovinskom bilansu Srbije].
13. Vlahović, B., Puškaš, A., Mugoša, I. (2018). Export of cheese from the Republic of Serbia – current state and perspective. Agroeconomics, 47(81), 59-70. [in Serbian: Vlahović, B., Puškaš, A., Mugoša, I. (2018). Izvoz sira iz Republike Srbije – aktuelno stanje i perspektiva].
14. Vukelić, N., Novković, N. (2009). The economic results in milk production and calfs on large private farms. Economics of Agriculture, 56(1), 99-110.
15. Zekić, S., Mijić, K., Jakšić, D., Milenković, I. (2016). Profitability gap in the milk production chain: Evidence from Serbia. Economics of Agriculture, 63(2), 485-499.
16. Zekić, V., Džinić, N., Tica, N., Tomović, V., Milić, D. (2015). Cost price determination for traditional meat products. Agroeconomics, 44(67), 117- 124. [in Serbian: Zekić, V., Džinić, N., Tica, N., Tomović, V., Milić, D. (2015). Utvrđivanje cene koštanja tradicionalnih proizvoda od mesa].
17. Zekić, V., Džinić, N., Tica, N., Tomović, V., Milić, D. (2016). Capacity utilization impact on the financial results of meat processing. Annals of Agronomy, 40(1), 95-99. [in Serbian: Zekić, V., Džinić, N., Tica, N., Tomović, V., Milić, D. (2016). Uticaj stepena korišćenja kapaciteta na finansijske rezultate u preradi mesa].