THE ATTITUDES TOWARD APPLICATION OF VIRAL MARKETING IN THE FOOD INDUSTRY IN SERBIA
This paper examines the attitudes toward application of viral marketing in the food industry in Serbia. The research consisted of both an extensive theory review and empirical research, including case studies, surveys and in-depth interviews. Viral marketing has been defined as any marketing program (online or ofﬂine) that is designed to achieve an exponential growth by spreading marketing effects from customer to customer. The paper’s hypothesis, stating that marketing managers in Serbia have positive attitudes toward the usefulness of viral marketing in the food industry, has been supported by the results of both primary and secondary research. Finally, a number of limitations and risks associated with the viral marketing strategy have been presented, followed by a brief discussion of possible ways to overcome the challenges.
2. Bouchard, P., St-Amant, C. (2012): Getting the Right Spin: A Theory of Optimal Viral Marketing, Queen’s Economics Department, Department of Economics, Queen’s University, 3/2012.
3. Bughin, J., Doogan, J., Vetvik, O. (2010): A new way to measure word-of mouth marketing, McKinsey Quarterly, April.
4. Hung-Chang, C., Yi-Ching, H., Ya-Hui, K., Lee, M. (2007): The Determinants of Email Receivers’ Disseminating Behaviors on the Internet, Journal of Advertising Research, December, pg. 524-534, London, Ontario, Canada.
5. Jones, R. (2007): Google urges frms to embrace viral marketing, V3.CO.UK, accessed in September 2012. www.v3.co.uk/v3-uk/news/1987464/google-urgesfrms-embrace-viral-marketing
6. Jurvetson, S., Draper, T. (1997): Viral Marketing phenomenon explained, accessed in May 2012, www.dfj.com/news/article_26.shtml
7. Kalyanam, K., McIntyre, S., Masonis, J. T. (2007): Adaptive experimentation in interactive marketing: The case of viral marketing at Plaxo, Journal of Interactive Marketing, Elsevier, Vol. 21, Issue 3, Amsterdam, Netherlands.
8. Kumar, V., Petersen, J. A., Leone, R. P. (2007), How Valuable is Word of Mouth, Harvard Business review, p. 139-146
9. Laudon, K. C., Traver, C. G. (2002): E-Commerce: Business, Technology, Society, Addison Wesley, Boston.
10.Learmonth, M. (2011): Top ten viral ads of all times, AdAge.com, accessed in October 2012, http://adage.com/digital/article?article_id=145673
11.McColl, P. (2010): Viral Explosions!, Career Press, Franklin Lakes, NJ.
12.Mesaroš, I., Đokić, N., Penić, M. (2013): Measuring the communication effects of sales promotion in a food company, Ekonomika poljoprivrede, IEP Beograd, vol. 60, no. 1, Srbija.
13.Montgomery, K. C., Chester, J. (2009): Interactive food and beverage marketing: targeting adolescents in the digital age, Journal of Adolescent Health, Elsevier, Vol. 45, pg. 18-29, Amsterdam, Netherlands.
14.Pardee, T. (2012): Google Takes Top Honors at Viral Video Awards, AdAge.com, accessed in October 2012, http://adage.com/article/special-report-digitalconference/google-takes-top-honors-viral-video-awards/234155/
15.Penenberg, A. L. (2009): Viral Loop, From Facebook to Twitter, how today’s smartest businesses grow themselves, Hyperion, New York.
16.Phelps, J. E., Lewis, R., Mobilio, L., Perry, D., Raman, N. (2004): Viral Marketing or Electronic Word-of-Mouth Advertising: Examining Consumer Responses and Motivations to Pass Along Email, Journal of Advertising Research, Vol. 44, pg. 333-348.
17.Savić, Lj., Bošković, G., Mićić, V. (2012): Assumptions and possibilities of the development of the Serbian food industry, Ekonomika poljoprivrede, IEP Beograd, vol. 59, no. 4, Srbija.
18.Schmitt, P., Skiera, B., Van den Bulte, C. (2011): Referral Programs and Customer Value, Journal of Marketing, Vol. 75, Issue 1, pg. 46-59.
19.Shu-Chuan, C., Kim, Y. (2011): Determinants of consumer engagement in electronic word-of-mouth (eWOM) in social networking sites, International Journal of Advertising, 30(1), pg. 47–75.
20.Stateman, A. (2005): Viral marketing, everywhere displays and podcasting: Social and business trends for the new year, Public Relations Tactics, Vol. 12, Issue 1, pg. 27, New York, NY, USA.
21.Sudarević, T. (2011): Viralni marketing u sklopu web 2.0 marketing strategije, monografja - Novi metodi menadžmenta i marketinga u podizanju konkurentnosti srpske privrede, redaktori Janićijević, N. i Lovreta, S., str. 191-203, Centar za izdavačku delatnost Ekonomski fakultet Beograd, Beograd.
22.Survey (2012), provided by authors, Subotica, Novi Sad
23.Šurjanović, I. (2012): Word of Mouth 2.0!, accessed in September 2012, http://whereispuck.com/2012/07/13/word-of-mouth-2-0/
24.Šurjanović, I., Sudarević, T. (2013): Creating an Effective Viral Marketing Program, Lulu Press Inc., Raleigh, N.C.
25.Wilson, R. F. (2012): The Six Simple Principles of Viral Marketing. Web Marketing Today, Grand Junction, Colorado. http://webmarketingtoday.com/articles/viral-principles/
26.Word of Mouth Marketing Association (2007): WOM 101” – e-book, accessed in September 2012, http://womma.org/wom101/wom101.pdf
27.Yang, J., Yao, C., Ma, W., Chen, G. (2010): A study of the spreading scheme for viral marketing based on a complex network model, Physica A, Vol. 389, Issue 4, pg. 859-870.