APPLYING MARKETING CONCEPTS IN CHEESEMAKING BUSINESS ENTITIES IN THE REPUBLIC OF SERBIA
Main objective of the research is to identify role and position of marketing in business practice in micro, small and medium-sized enterprises (MSME) in the Republic of Serbia. Since cheese is a value-added product, cheesemaking takes a significant position in country’s food chain and represents a significant revenue generator for every participant in the production cycle. Lack or insufficient usage of marketing decreases the possibilities of efficient and effective use of resources and minimizes cheesemakers’ competitive advantage. The research has been conducted in the form of a questionnaire by using a random sample of 39 business entities in the territory of the Republic of Serbia. Research results indicate that marketing is at a peripheral position in the business practice of the analysed business entities. Main precondition for marketing concept implementation is introduction of marketing function and formalized process of marketing planning integrated into corporate planning system and supported by each level of management structure.
2. Breidert, C. (2007). Estimation of willingness-to-pay: Theory, measurement, application. Springer Science & Business Media.
3. Burke, N., Zacharski, K.A., Southern, M., Hogan, P., Ryan, M.P., & Adley, C.C. (2018). The Dairy Industry: Process, Monitoring, Standards, and Quality. In Descriptive Food Science. IntechOpen.
4. Castells, M. (2009). Communication Power. Oxford: Oxford University Press
5. Chron: What Percentage of Gross Revenue Should Be Used for Marketing & Advertising? Retrieved from http://smallbusiness.chron.com/percentage-grossrevenue-should-used-marketing-advertising-55928.html (February 12, 2020).
6. Cicea, C., Subić, J., & Pirlogea, C. (2010). Considerations regarding investments efficiency in agriculture. Economia Seria Management, 13(2), 321-331.
7. Erić, D., Beraha, I., Đuričin, S., Kecman, N., & Jakšić, B. (2012). Financing of SMEs in Serbia. Institut ekonomskih nauka: Privredna komora Srbije, 44-57.
8. Ferrell, O.C., & Hartline, M. (2012). Marketing strategy, text and cases. Nelson Education.
9. Fuchs, C. (2018). Propaganda 2.0: Herman and Chomsky’s Propaganda Model in the Age of the Internet, Big Data and Social Media. The Propaganda Model Today: Filtering Perception and Awareness. London: University of Westminster Press.
10. Gagné, M. (2018). From strategy to action: transforming organizational goals into organizational behavior. International Journal of Management Reviews, 20, 83- 104. doi: https://doi.org/10.1111/ijmr.12159
11. Hamzaoui-Essoussi, L., & Zahaf, M. (2012). Production and distribution of organic foods: Assessing the added values. Organic Farming and Food Production, 145. doi: https://doi.org/10.5772/52445
12. Hiebl, M.R. (2014). Upper echelons theory in management accounting and control research. Journal of Management Control, 24(3), 223–240. doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/s00187-013-0183-1
13. Hinterhuber, A. (2008). Customer value-based pricing strategies: why companies resist. Journal of Business Strategy. 29(4). doi: https://doi.org/10.1108/02756660810887079
14. Jerónimo, E., & Malcata, F.X. (2013). Sensory characteristics of cheese. In Handbook of cheese in health: Production, nutrition and medical sciences, 75- 103, Wageningen Academic Publishers.
15. Jones, R., Suoranta, M., & Rowley, J. (2013). Entrepreneurial marketing: a comparative study. The Service Industries Journal, 33(7-8). doi: https://doi.org/10.1080/02642069.2013.740470
16. Kaleka, A., & Morgan, A.N. (2017). How Marketing Capabilities and Current Performance Drive Strategic Intentions in International Markets. Industrial Marketing Management, 78(3), 108-121. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.indmarman.2017.02.001
17. Kotler, P. (2012). Kotler on marketing. Simon and Schuster.
18. Kotler, P., & Keller, K.L. (2007). A framework for marketing management. Pearson Education.
19. Kotler, P., & Keller, K.L. (2016). Marketing management (15th global ed.). England: Pearson.
20. Kuzman, B., Prdić, N., & Dobraš, Z. (2017). The importance of the wholesale markets for trade in agricultural products. Economics of Agriculture, 64(3), 1177- 1190. doi: https://doi.org/10.5937/ekoPolj1703177K
21. Lakhanya, L. (2015). Key internal factors affecting the small, medium and micro enterprises (SMMEs) marketing strategies in rural South Africa, Problems and Perspectives in Management, LLC Consulting Publishing Company Business Perspectives, 13(2).
22. McDonald, M. (2016). Strategic marketing planning: theory and practice. In The marketing book, Routledge, 108-142.
23. Monroe, K., & Cox, J. (2001). Pricing Practices that Endanger Profits, Marketing Management, 10(3).
24. Middleton, V., Fyall, A., Morgan, M., & Ranchhod, A. (2009). Marketing In Travel And Tourism, 4th Edition, Routledge.
25. Mugoša, I. (2018). Applying Marketing Concepts to Improve Cheese Production and Placing on the Market in the Republic of Serbia, PhD Tesis, Faculty of Agriculture, University of Novi Sad.
26. Ožegović, L., & Pavlović, N. (2012). Management of Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises - holder of economic development, School of Business, 1, 74-84. [in Serbian: Ožegović, L., Pavlović, N. (2012). Menadžment malih i srednjih preduzeća–Nosilac razvoja privrede].
27. Palmatier, R., & Sridhar, S. (2017). Marketing strategy : based on first principles and data analytics, Macmillan International Higher Education, London, Palgrave.
28. Pavlović, N. (2009). The impact of small entities on economic growth. Razvoj i upravljanje, 2(3), 40-42. [in Serbian: Pavlović, N. (2009). Uticaj malih preduzeća na privredni rast].
29. Puškarić, A., Kuzman, B., & Maksimović, B. (2016). Impact of promotional activities on the development of autochthonous food products market. Ekonomika, 62(4). doi: https://doi.org/10.22004/ag.econ.290328
30. Radosavljević, K. (2014). The strategy of marketing channel development in agribusiness of the Republic of Serbia, PhD Tesis, Faculty of Economics, University of Belgrade
31. Rankin, S., Chen, C.M., Sommer, D., & Esposito, A. (2006). Mozzarella and Scamorza cheese. Handbook of Food Science, Technology, and Engineering, 4, 150-1.
32. Renko, N. (2009). Marketing Strategies, Naklada Ljevak, Zagreb.
33. Rice, C. (2010). Understanding customers, Routledge.
34. Rundh, B. (2013). Linking packaging to marketing: how packaging is inﬂuencing the marketing strategy. British Food Journal.
35. Subić, J., Cicea, C., & Jeločnik, M. (2017). Methodology And Software Application For Creation Of Business Plan In Any Area Of Agricultural Production, Proceedings of the International Management Conference, 11(1), 887-897, Faculty of Management, Academy of Economic Studies, Bucharest, Romania.
36. Špička, J. (2013). The competitive environment in the dairy industry and its impact on the food industry. Agris on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, 5(8), 89-102.
37. Užar, D., Mugoša, I., & Radojević, V. (2019). Positioning of Private Label Cheese Brands in the Republic of Serbia. Contemporary Agriculture, 68(3-4), 80-87. doi: https://doi.org/10.2478/contagri-2019-0013
38. Vasiljev, S., Cvetković, Lj., Kancir, R., & Pantelić, D. (2007). Marketing management, 2, University of Novi Sad, Faculty of Economics
39. Wang, G., Holmes, R.M., Jr., Oh, I.S., & Zhu, W. (2016). Do CEOs matter to firm strategic actions and frm performance? A meta-analytic investigation based on upper echelons theory. Pers. Psychol, 69, 775–862. doi: https://doi.org/10.1111/peps.12140