THE INDEXING APPROACH IN MEASURING OF SUSTAINABLE SOCIETY
Sustainable society is a society that has ability to maintain a balance between economic, social and ecological processes, or states, over the time period, in order to meet, as current as well as future needs of the population. This is a complex and multidisciplinary concept, which requires establishment of appropriate indexes for measuring of a society sustainability level. Sustainable Society Index (SSI) is considered as one of the most recognized indexes for measuring the sustainability level of a society. In the paper is presented the model of Sustainable Society Index by defining its basic characteristics and trends, parallelly with quantitative-comparative analysis of the SSI value at the global level as well as at the level of the Republic of Serbia and neighboring countries.
2. Chen, S. (2007): What is a Sustainable Society?, Sustainable Society USA, available at: www.sustainablesocietyusa.com/html/SustainableSociety/20070913/24.html (accessed on January 28, 2013).
3. Coomer, J. (1979): The Nature of the Quest for a Sustainable Society, in: J. Coomer (Ed.), Quest for a Sustainable Society, Pergamon Press, Oxford.
4. European Commission (2009): GDP and beyond - Measuring progress in a changing world, available at: www.cros-portal.eu/content/gdp-and-beyond-measuring-progresschanging-world (accessed on February 8, 2013).
5. IUCN, UNEP, WWF (1991): Caring for the Earth: A Strategy for Sustainable Living, Gland, Switzerland.
6. Njegovan, Z. (2008): Critical Framework-Conditions for Strategic Development Programming, Economics of Agriculture, Institute of Agricultural Economics Belgrade, Vol. 55, No. 2, pp. 139-149.
7. Parris, T. M., Kates, R. W. (2003): Characterising and measuring sustainable development, Annual Review of Environment and Resources, Vol. 28, pp. 559-586.
8. Principles of a Sustainable Society, Caring for the Earth: A Strategy for Sustainable Living, available at: http://www.globallearningnj.org/global_ata/principles_ of_a_sustainable_society.htm (accessed on February 7, 2013).
9. Saisana, M., Philippas, D. (2012): Sustainable Society Index (SSI): Taking societies’ pulse along social, environmental and economic issues, JRC Scientific and Policy Reports, European Commission.
10.Sarić, R., Rolјević, S., Grujić, B. (2011): Konceptualizacija održivog razvoja lokalnih zajednica, Ekonomika polјoprivrede, Institut za ekonomiku poljoprivrede Beograd, specijalni br. 1, knjiga I, vol. 58, str. 193-201.
11.Sustainable Society Foundation (2010): Measuring wellbeing and progress towards sustainability, available at: www.beyond-gdp.eu/download/factsheets/Sustainable_Society_Index.pdf (accessed on February 2, 2013).
12.Sustainable Society Index (2009), available at: www.eoearth.org/article/ Sustainable_Society_Index (accessed on February 11, 2013).
13.Van de Kerk, G., Manuel, A. (2007): Contribution to Beyond GDP „Virtual Indicator Expo“ - Sustainable Society Index (SSI): a new comprehensive index for world-wide use, Brussels, available at: www.beyond-gdp.eu/download/bgdp-ve-ssi.pdf (accessed on February 11, 2013).
14.Van de Kerk, G., Manuel, A. (2012): Sustainable Society Index SSI-2012, Sustainable Society Foundation, The Netherlands.
15.http://plopws.sfsu.edu/sustainability/about.html (accessed on February 5, 2013).
16. http://uncw.edu/campuslife/services/Sustainability.html (accessed on February 5, 2013).
17.www.ssfndex.com/sustainability/timeline/ (accessed on February 10, 2013).
18.www.ssfndex.com/results-2012/world-totals/ (accessed on February 12, 2013).
19.www.ssfindex.com/cms/wp-content/uploads/Datatables_2006-2008-2010-2012.xls (accessed on February 15, 2013).