COMPETITIVENESS OF FOOD MANUFACTURING OF REPUBLIC OF SERBIA
The subject of paper is export competitiveness of food manufacturing of Republic of Serbia during the period 1996-2016. The analysis of export competitiveness was realised by using the following indicators: Revealed comparative advantage (RCA), Competitiveness growth index (RCA1), Index of net business performance (RCA2), Index of contribution to the trade balance (CTB), Grubel-Lloyd index (GLI) and Michaely index (MI). The results show that RCA values were positive in all years, which speaks of comparative advantage of this industry on the domestic market. Since the RCA1 values were higher than one, they revealed export competitiveness. The positive values of RCA2 during the period 2005-2016 bear witness of contribution of food manufacturing in foreign trade balance of Serbian economy. The average value of CTB index was 3.998 and its positive annual values showed that the contribution of food manufacturing in the total trade balance was positive. The change of GLI values pointed to the loss of ability of the sector to create surplus of national trade balance. Positive annual values of MI confirmed the competitiveness of food manufacturing, but also its insufficient specialization.
2. Amighini, A. Leone, M., Rabellotti, R. (2011): Persistence versus Change in the International Specialization Pattern of Italy: how much does the ’Direct Effect’ Matter?”, in Regional Studies 45, pp. 381-401
3. Balassa, B. (1965): Trade liberalisation and “revealed” comparative advantage. The manchester school, Vol 33 No2, pp. 99-123.
4. Grubel, H., Lloyd, P. (1971): The Empirical Measurement of Intra- Industry Trade, Economic Record, Vol 47 No120, pp. 494-517.
5. Hinloopen, J., van Marrewijk, C. (2001): On the empirical distribution of the Balassa index, Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv / Review of World Economics Vol 137 No 1, pp. 1-35.
6. Klodt, H. (1993): Europäische Industriepolitik nach Maastricht, Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv. 263 ff.
7. Melišek, I. (2012): Meranie a hodnotenie makroekonomických výsledkov zahraničného obchodu. Ekonomické rozhľady, Vol 41 No 4, pp. 439-451.
8. Michaely, M. (1962): Multilateral balancing in international trade. The American Economic Review, 52(4), 685-702.
9. Rybakovas, E. (2009): Competitiveness of Lithuanian manufacturing industry, Economics and management, Vol. 14, pp. 912-918.
10. Sujová, A., Hlaváčková, P., Marcineková, K. (2015): Measuring the Impact of Foreign Trade on Performance Growth of the Woodprocessing Industry. Wood Research, Vol 60 No 3, pp. 491-502.
11. UNCTADstat database available at http://unctadstat.unctad.org/wds/TableViewer/tableView.aspx?ReportId=2473812. http://wits.worldbank.org/wits/wits/witshelp/Content/Utilities/e1.trade_indicators.htm