DIFFERENCES AND SIMILARITIES AMONG RURAL TOURISM IN SLOVENIA AND SERBIA – PERCEPTIONS OF THE LOCAL TOURISM WORKERS
This paper deals with the development of rural areas in Slovenia and Serbia and gives some differences/similarities among these two countries based on perception of 492 tourism workers. The article making a series of proposals to guide the future research agenda. The main aim of the paper is to point out the benefts of rural tourism development and it’s similarities and differences in Slovenia and Serbia. The data for this study were collected using Dwyer and Kim’s (2003) Integrated Model of Destination Competitiveness to observe Slovenia’s and Serbia’s rural tourism differences/similarities. Determinants were assessed using a survey evaluating 24 indicators (demand and supporting factors), based upon a Likert Scale.
2. Bole, D., Pipan, P., Komac, B. (2013): Cultural values and sustainable rural development: A brief introduction. Acta geographica Slovenica, vol. 52, no. 2, pp. 367- 370.
3. Brankov, J., Jovičić, D., Milijašević, D. (2015): Sustainable Tourism in National Park “Đerdap”, Serbia – Attitudes of Local Population. Journal of the Geographical Institute “Jovan Cvijić” SASA, vol. 65, no. 2, pp. 183-199.
4. Campbell L. M. (1999): Ecotourism in rural developing communities. Annals of Tourism Research, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 534–553.
5. Dimitrovski, D.D., Todorović, A.T., Valjarević, A.D. (2012): Rural tourism and regional development: Case study of development of rural tourism in the region of Gruza, Serbia. Procedia Environmental Sciences, vol. 14, pp. 288–297.
6. Todorović, M., Bjeljac, Ž. (2009): Rural tourism in serbia as a concept of development in undeveloped regions. Acta geographica Slovenica, vol. 49, no. 2, pp. 453-473.
7. Chin, C.H., Lo, M.C., Songan, P., Nair, V. (2014): Rural Tourism Destination Competitiveness: AnStudy on Annah Rais Longhouse Homestay, Sarawak. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, vol. 144, no. 20, pp. 35-44.
8. Dwyer, L., Knežević Cvelbar, Lj., Edwards, D., Mihalic, T. (2012): Fashioning A Destination Tourism Future: The Case Of Slovenia. Tourism Management, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 305-316.
9. Dragićević, V., Jovičić, D., Blešić, I., Stankov, U., Bošković, D. (2012): Business tourism destination competitiveness: A case of Vojvodina Province (Serbia). Economic Research, vol. 25, pp. 311–332.
10. Dwyer, L., Mellor, R., Livaic, Z., Edwards, D., Kim, C.W. (2004): Attributes of destination competitiveness: A factor analysis. Tourism Analysis, vol. 9, pp. 91–102.
11. Dwyer, L., Kim, C. (2003): Destination competitiveness: Determinants and indicators. Current Issues in Tourism, vol. 6, pp. 369–413.
12. Đukičin, S., Đorđević, J., Milanković, J. (2014): Spatial and social changes caused by the continuous exploitation of lignite in the Kolubara lignite basin, Serbia. Acta geographica Slovenica, vol. 54, no. 1, pp. 41-49.
13. Erjavec, E., Rednak, M., Volk, T. (1998): The European Union enlargement – The case of agriculture in Slovenia. Food Policy, vol. 23, no. 5, pp. 395-409.
14. Estol, J., Font, X. (2016): European tourism policy: its evolution and structure. Tourism Management, vol. 52, pp. 230-241.
15. Everett, S., Aitchison, C. (2008): The role of gastronomy tourism in sustaining regional identity: a case study of Cornwall, South West England. Journal of Sustainable Tourism, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 150-167.
16. Grum, B., Kobal Grum, D. (2014): Satisfaction with current residence status in comparison with expectations of real estate buyers in Slovenia and Serbia. Procedia - Social And Behavioral Sciences, vol. 109, no. 8, pp. 263-275.
17. Gaddefors J. (2005): Creating context entrepreneurial opportunities in a consumer market setting. Journal of Enterprising Culture, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 199–224.
18. Getz D., Carlsen J. (2005): Family business in tourism: State of the art. Annals of Tourism Research, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 237 – 258.
19. Getz D., Carlsen J. (2000): Characteristics and goals of family and owner-operated businesses in the rural tourism and hospitality sectors. Tourism Management, vol. 21, no. 6, pp. 547–560.
20. Gomezelj, O. D., Mihalič, T. (2008): Destination competitiveness - Applying different models, the case of Slovenia. Tourism Management, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 294–307.
21. Hall, R.D. (1998): Tourism development and sustainability issues in Central and SouthEastern Europe. Tourism Management, vol. 19, no. 5, pp. 423-431.
22. Knežević, A.A., Cvelbar, Lj. (2011): Privatization, market competition, international attractiveness, management tenure and hotel performance: evidence from Slovenia. International Journal Of Hospitality Management, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 391-397.
23. Košćak, M. (1998): Integral Development Of Rural Areas, Tourism And Village Renovation, Trebnje, Slovenia. Tourism Management, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 81-85.
24. Komppula, R. (2014): The role of individual entrepreneurs in the development of competitiveness for a rural tourism destination – A case study. Tourism Management, vol. 40, pp. 361-371.
25. Lane B. (1994): What is rural tourism? Journal of Sustainable Tourism, vol. 2, no. 1-2, pp. 7–21
26. Lock, K., Gabrijelcic-Blenkus, M., Martuzzi, M., Otorepec, P., Kuhar, A., Robertson, A., Wallace, E., Dora, C., Maucec Zakotnic, J. (2004): Conducting an hia of the effect of accession to the European Union on national agriculture and food policy in Slovenia. Environmental Impact Assessment Review, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 177-188.
27. Mulec, I., Wise, N. (2013): Indicating the competitiveness of Serbia’s Vojvodina region as an emerging tourism destination. Tourism Management Perspectives, vol. 8, pp. 68-79.
28. Nastran, M. (2015): Why does nobody ask us? Impacts on local perception of a protected area in designation, Slovenia. Land Use Policy, vol. 46, pp. 38-49.
29. Petrović-Ranđelović, M., Miletić, D. (2012): (No)competitiveness and sustainable development of Serbian tourism. Procedia - Social And Behavioral Sciences, vol. 44, pp. 78-87.
30. Petrović, M. D. (2014): Kvalitet agroturizma Vojvodine i njegov uticaj na stavove lokalnog stanovništva (Ph.D. thesis – in Serbian). University of Novi Sad, Faculty of Sciences, Department of Geography, Tourism and Hotel Management, Novi Sad, Serbia.
31. Petrović, M. D., Vujko, A., Blešić, I. (2015): Leisure Time in Countryside: The Health Aspects of Agritourism Activities. KNOWLEDGE - International Journal Scientifc and Applicative papers, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 131-136.
32. Petrović, M. D., Bjeljac, Ž., Demirović, D. (2016a): Tourism Impact Attitude Scale (TIAS) as a Tool of Contemporary Analysis in Agritourism. Agricultural Bulletin of Stavropol Region, no. 1, Supplement, pp. 13-19.
33. Petrović, M. D., Blešić, I., Ivolga, A., Vujko, A. (2016b): Agritourism Impact Toward Locals’ Attitudes – An Evidence from Vojvodina Province (Serbia). Journal of the Geographical Institute “Jovan Cvijić” SASA, vol. 66, no. 1, pp. 105-123.
34. Rey, V., Groza, O. (2009): Balkans. International Encyclopedia Of Human Geography, pp. 265-272.
35. Sidali, K. L., Spiller, A., Schulze, B. (2011). Food, Agri-Culture and Tourism: Linking Local Gastronomy and Rural Tourism: Interdisciplinary Perspectives, Berlin: SpringerVerlag.
36. Srdanović, M., Pavić, D. (2015): Tourists’ attitudes on tourism offer in north-western part of Montenegro. Journal of the Geographical Institute “Jovan Cvijić” SASA, vol. 65, no. 2, pp. 201–214.
37. Šprah, L., Novak, T., Fridl, J. (2014): The wellbeing of Slovenias population by region: comparison of indicators with an emphasis on health. Acta geographica Slovenica, vol. 54, no. 1, pp. 67-87.
38. Šmid-Hribar, M., Ledinek-Lozej, Š. (2013): The role of identifying and managing cultural values in rural development. Acta geographica Slovenica, vol. 53, no. 2, pp. 371–378.
39. Ursache, M. (2015): Tourism – signifcant driver shaping a destinations heritage. Procedia - social and Behavioral Sciences, vol. 188, no. 14, pp. 130-137.
40. Vujko, A., Gajić, T. (2014): The gouverment policy impact on economic development of tourism, Ekonomika poljoprivrede, vol. 61, no. 3, pp. 789-804.