Current issues and challenges on functional food
The article sets out the key-details in the field of functional foods, featuring their current role and relevance, which are based on their functions and associated benefits. It also lays down a wide range of issues and key-challenges - related to both consumers and producers - whose approach will determine the future trend line for this sector of food production. The paper shows a series of important elements to be taken into account by governments, experts, sellers and consumers so that the integration of functional food in human nutrition has a positive effect on health and nutritional welfare.
2. Hasler, C., Functional Foods: Their Role in Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Institute of Food Technologists, Expert Panel on Food Safety and Nutrition, originally published in Food Technology 52(2):57-62, 1998.
3. Heller, I. R., Functional Foods: Regulatory and Marketing Developments, Food Drug Law J 2001;56(2):197-225, 2001.
4. Hughes, G., Crops for Functional Food, Nuffield report, at www.nuffield international.org/.../12608718812007_Geraint_Hughes_Nuffield_Report.pdf, pp. 1-41.
5. Kaplan, D.M., What’s Wrong with Functional Foods?, in Frederick Adams, ed. Ethical Issues in the Life Sciences, Charlottesville: Philosophy Documentation Center, 2006, pp. 1-17.
6. Poulsen, J., Danish consumers’ attitudes towards functional foods, MAPP Working Papers 62, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, The MAPP Centre, 1999
7. Raghuveer, C., Consumption of Functional Food and our Health Concerns, Pak J Physiol 2009;5(1), pp.76-83, available at http://www.pps.org.pk/PJP/5-1/Raghuveer.pdf
8. Sheehy, P.J.A., Morrissey, P.A., Functional Foods: Prospects and Perspectives, in Nutritional Aspects of Food Processing and Ingredients, Chapter 3, pp. 45-65. Eds. C.J.K. Henry & N.J. Heppell, Gaithersburg, Aspen Publishers, 1998, available at http://www.ucc.ie/fcis/functional_foods.htm
9. Siro, I., Kapolna, E., Kapolna, B., Lugasi, A., Functional food Product development, marketing and consumer acceptance - A review, Volume 51, Issue 3, November 2008, Pages 456-467, Elsevier, 2008.
10. Zou, N. N., Hobbs, J.E., Modelling Functional Food Choice and Health Care Impacts: A Literature Review, PROJECT REPORT November 2006, pp. 3-25.
11. *** European Commission, Functional Foods, Directorate-General for Research, FP7 cooperation – Food, 24194 EN, 2010, pp. 7-17.
12. *** Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO), Report on Functional Foods, Food Quality and Standards Service (AGNS), 2007, at http://www.fao.org/ag/agn/agns/fles/Functional_Foods_Report_Nov2007.pdf, pp. 3-16.
13. *** PricewaterhouseCoopers, Leveraging growth in the emerging functional foods industry: Trends and market opportunities, PricewaterhouseCoopers, August 2009, pp.3-20.