APPROACHES TO SUSTAINABLE RURAL DEVELOPMENT IN A PREDOMINANTLY NON-RURAL REGION
Paper aims at investigation of contemporary approaches to sustainable rural development in Russia with focus on predominantly non-rural areas, gravitationally attracted by such urban agglomerations, as Moscow. It includes the overview of current experiences in rural development, analysis of major economic and social indicators of rural areas in comparison with urban ones, characteristic of specific features of rural areas in Moscow Oblast, and elaboration of perspective ways to ensure sustainable development of those areas. Methods of benchmarking analysis, SWOT-analysis and program prognosis are implemented. The major results of the current research are discoveries of growth points for rural development and recommendations on perspective measures of state and local policies in rural areas, directed on increase of living standards of rural population and retention of labour resources in their traditional rural areas of inhabitation.
2. Bondarenko, L. (2011): Employment in Rural Areas and Diversification of Rural Economics, Economics of Agriculture of Russia, vol. 1, pp. 71-76.
3. Bronisz, U., Heijman, W., Miszczuk, A. (2008): Regional competitiveness in Poland: Creating an index, Jahrbuch für Regionalwissenschaft, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 133-143.
4. Central Bank of the Russian Federation (2014): Euro/Ruble Exchange Rates. Available at: www.fnnews.ru/cbr_archive.php?nfromcur=EUR&ndat=1&nmon=1&nyear=2013&ndat2=31&nmon2=12&nyear2=2013&x=43&y=8
5. Cvijanovic, D., Vukovic, P. (2012): Role of marketing in tourism in Danube region, Institute of Agricultural Economics, Belgrade.
6. Erokhin, V., Ivolga, A. (2009): Regional competitiveness in the conditions of economic internationalization, Proceedings from the conference – Perspectives of development of agricultural economics during crisis, Stavropol, Russian Federation, pp. 287-290.
7. Erokhin, V., Ivolga, A. (2012): How to Ensure Sustainable Development of Agribusiness in the Conditions of Trade Integration: Russian Approach, International Journal of Sustainable Economies Management (IJSEM), vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 12–23.
8. Erokhin, V., Ivolga, A., Andrei, J., et al. (2014): Contemporary Issues of Sustainable Rural Development: International Approaches and Experiences of Eastern Europe and Russia, monograph, AGRUS of Stavropol State Agrarian University, Stavropol, Russia.
9. Government of Moscow Oblast (2012): Long-term Target Program of Moscow Oblast on Development of Agriculture and Regulation of Markets of Agricultural Commodities, Raw Materials and Food in 2013-2020, Moscow, Russia.
10.Heide, C., Heijman, W. (eds), (2012): The Economic Value of Landscapes, monograph, Routledge Studies in Ecological Economics, Routledge, London, UK.
11. Heijman, W., Schipper, R. (2010): Space and Economics: An introduction to regional economics, Mansholt Publication Series, vol. 7, Wageningen Academic Publishers, Wageningen, the Netherlands.
12.Ivolga, A. (2006): Redistribution of Agricultural Lands as the Major Element of Rural Development, Russian Entrepreneurship, vol. 8, pp. 124-129.
13.Ivolga, A., Uryadova, T. (2010): Organizational and Economic Problem of Effective Involvement of Agricultural Lands into Civil Turnover, Russian Economic Internet Journal, vol. 2, pp. 120-127.
14.Ivolga, A., Belak, I. (2013): Problems of Development and Perspectives of Tourism Potential in Caucasian Mineral Waters, Proceedings from the conference – Sustainable development of tourist market: international practices and experiences of Russia, STGAU, Stavropol, Russian Federation, pp. 68-74.
15.Ivolga, A., Mikhaylova, K. (2013): Approaches to Sustainable Regional Development by means of Utilization of Tourist and Recreational Potential, Proceedings from the conference – Sustainable development of tourist market: international practices and experiences of Russia, STGAU, Stavropol, Russian Federation, pp. 39-47.
16.Ivolga, A., Erokhin, V. (2013):Tourism as an Approach to Sustainable Rural Development: Case of Southern Russia, Economics of Agriculture, IAE Belgrade, vol. 60, no. 4, pp. 789-800.
17.Jelocnik, M., Ivolga, A. (2012): International Approaches to Analysis of Regional Agricultural Potential: Cases of Stavropol Region and Republic of Serbia, Proceedings from the conference – Actual Problems of Agribusiness Development in the Conditions Economic Modernization, STGAU, Stavropol, Russia, pp. 10-16.
18.Kundius, V., Chermyanina, V. (2011): Problems and Perspectives of Rural Tourism in the Region, Bulletin of the Altay State University, vol. 2, p. 289.
19.Lavrukhina, E. (2013): Social Resources of Rural Development in the Russian Federation (Sociological Analysis), Unpublished doctoral dissertation, The Russian Presidential Academy of National Economy and Public Administration, Moscow.
20.Lescheva, M., Ivolga, A. (2006): Problems of Agricultural Land Turnover in Agriculture, Bulletin of Higher Educational Institutions, North-Caucasus Region, Social Sciences Seria, vol. S24, pp. 49-21.
21.Lescheva, M. (2007): Agri-industrial Integration in the Conditions of Russia’s Accession into the WTO, International Agricultural Magazine, vol. 5, p. 6.
22.Lescheva, M. (2008):Problems of Development of Integration Processes in Contemporary Agriculture, Economic Strategies, vol. 1, pp. 138-144.
23.Merzlov, A. et al (2012): Introduction to Sustainable Rural Development: Major Definitions and Theoretical Framework, monograph, Russian Timiryazev State Agrarian University, Moscow, Russia.
24.Merzlov, A., Ovchintseva, L., Popova, O. (2012): Regional Experience of Elaboration of Programs of Sustainable Rural Development, monograph, Rosinformagrotekh, Moscow, Russia.
25.Rosstat (2012): Regions of Russia. Social and Economic Indicators: statistic compilation, Moscow, Russia.
26.Rosstat (2014): Inﬂation in the Russian Federation, Available at: http://inﬂationinrussia.com/inﬂation_table.aspx
27.Rusinova, O. (2011): The Efficiency Rating for the Use of Resource Potential of Social and Economic Development as to Rural Territories of an Agrarian Region, Bulletin of the Udmurtia University, Economics and Law, vol. 3, pp. 48-52.
28. State Council of the Russian Federation (2014): Report on Sustainable Development of Rural Territories of the Russian Federation, Moscow, Council under the President of the Russian Federation on Implementation of Priority National Projects and Demographic Policy.
29.Trukhachev, A., Lescheva, M. (2010): Integration Processes in Innovation Development of Agri-Industrial Complex, Achievements of Science and Technology in Agriculture, vol. 9, pp. 5-7.
30.Vuković, P., Kljajić, N., Arsić, S. (2012): Multifunctional Agriculture as an Assumption and a Condition for Rural Development in Serbia-Special Turn to Rural Tourism, International Journal of Sustainable Economies Management, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 24-32.
31.Wiggins, S., Proctor, S. (2001): How special are rural areas? The economic implications of location for rural development, Development Policy Review, vol. 19, no. 4, Blackwell Publishing, London, Great Britain.