FOOD SECURITY AND REGIONAL AGRICULTURAL MARKET: ECONOMIC ANALYSIS AND DEVELOPMENT PROSPECTS
The analysis of dynamics and current state of an agrifood market is conducted on the case of the agrarian region of Stavropol Krai. The research objective is to analyse development factors and tendencies of the regional agrifood market; to assess the import dependency rate of selected product sectors; to investigate the perspective directions of domestic market saturation. The research subject is a system of economic relations, directed on the establishment and development of the agricultural commodities and food market, and a range of special economic measures for insurance of the food security in the Russian Federation. The analysis includes the market capacity and level of self-sufficiency in the Stavropol Krai, which are defend by basic foodstuffs. It is found that people’s needs in food are covered insufficiently. It is revealed that Stavropol Krai is an active player on both inter-regional and international markets, with the substantial amounts of counter deliveries. Agricultural raw commodities of low added value predominate in export, while processed ones of higher added value – in imports. Food processing industry of the region is underdeveloped, however, it has substantial reserves for development. The major protection measures of domestic food market are defend in the paper: diversification of agricultural production, and industrial and logistics infrastructure development of the regional agrarian market. The results can be used by regional government authorities in improving of the domestic food market regulations.
2. Erokhin, V., Ivolga, A. (2012): How to Ensure Sustainable Development of Agribusiness in the Conditions of Trade Integration: Russian Approach, International Journal of Sustainable Economies Management (IJSEM), vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 12-23.
3. Erokhin, V., Ivolga, A., Andrei, J. V., Cvijanović, D., Ion, R. A., Ivolga, I., Jeločnik, M., Labenko, O., Subić, J., Trukhachev, A., Turek Rahoveanu, A., Turek Rahoveanu, M. M., Vuković, P. (2014): Contemporary Issues of Sustainable Rural Development: International Approaches and Experiences of Eastern Europe and Russia, AGRUS of Stavropol State Agrarian University, Stavropol, Russia.
4. Erokhin, V., Ivolga, A., Heijman, W. (2014): Trade Liberalization and State Support of Agriculture: Effects for Developing Countries, Agric. Econ. – Czech, vol. 11, no. 60, pp. 524-537.
5. Federal Service of State Statistics of the Russian Federation, available at: http://www.gks.ru/wps/wcm/connect/rosstat_main/rosstat/ru/statistics/tariffs/
6. Hailu, M. B. (2010): Food Security and Agricultural Trade Liberalization, Proceedings from the conference – Second Biennial Global Conference, Barcelona, Spain.
7. Ivolga, I., Timofeeva, V. (2014): The analysis of the main tendencies of food security in the Russian Federation, Agricultural Bulletin of Stavropol Region, vol. 1, no. 13, pp. 70-73.
8. Jelocnik, M., Ivolga, A. (2012): International Approaches to Analysis of Regional Agricultural Potential: Cases of Stavropol Region and Republic of Serbia, Proceedings from the conference – Actual Problems of Agribusiness Development in the Conditions Economic Modernization, Stavropol, Russia, pp. 10-16.
9. Josling, T., Anderson, K., Schmitz, A., Tangerman, S. (2010): Understanding International Trade in Agricultural Products, One hundred years of contributions by agricultural economists, American Journal of Agricultural Economics, vol. 2, no. 92, pp. 424–446.
10. Kiselev, S., Romashkin, R., Nelson, G. C., Mason - D’Croz, D., Palazzo, A. (2013): Russia’s food security and climate change: Looking into the future, Economics – The Open-Access, Open-Assessment E-Journal, no. 7, pp. 1-66.
11. On the application of certain special economic measures to ensure the security of the Russian Federation, the Decree of the President of the Russian Federation V. V. Putin, №560 from 06.08.2014.
12. Savkin, V., Pervykh, N. (2013): Food resources as the basis of the sustainable development and national security in the age of economic globalization, Visegrad Journal on Bio-economy and Sustainable Development, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 28-33.
13. Serova, E. (2014): Food Security in Central Asia, portal of Russian international affairs council, available at: http://russiancouncil.ru/en/inner/?id_4=3777#top
14. Stringer, R. (2000): Food Security in Developing Countries, CIES Working Paper, vol. 11., available at: http://www.adelaide.edu.au/cies/papers/0011.pdf
15. Territorial Body of the Federal Service of State Statistics of the Russian Federation in Stavropol Krai (2012): Agriculture of Stavropol Krai in 2005-2011. Statistical Bulletin of Stavropol Krai, Stavropolstat, Stavropol, Russia.
16. Territorial Body of the Federal Service of State Statistics of the Russian Federation in Stavropol Krai (2013): Brief Statistical Bulletin, Stavropolstat, Stavropol, Russia
17. Wegren, S. K. (2013): Food Security in the Russian Federation, Eurasian Geography and Economics, vol. 1, no. 54, pp. 22-41.