PROMOTION OF ORGANIC FOOD IN SERBIA: IMPLICATIONS FROM ORGANIC FOOD CONSUMERS’ PROFILE RESEARCH
The article presents the results of the research of organic food frequency of consumption (in general), conducted in Serbia in June 2013 (n=300). Respondents were classified into low-frequent organic food consumers’ segment and high-frequent organic food consumers’ segment. Socio-demographic characteristics of respondents were also investigated, thus allowing comparing two segments regarding consumers’ profile. The organic food high frequent consumers’ segment consisted of more women, more educated people, more married respondents and respondents living with children and having larger households, as well as of consumers with higher self-assessed household income in comparison to organic food low-frequent consumers’ segment. Having in mind the results of the research and the level of domestic market development when choosing which segment to target, as well as starting from understanding promotion in the context of integrated marketing communication and the means-end approach to consumer behavior, recommendations for organic food promotion were given.
2. Arbindra, P. R., Moon, W., Balasubramanian, S. (2005): Agro-biotechnology and organic food purchase in the United Kingdom, British Food Journal, vol. 107, no. 2, pp. 84-97.
3. Bonti-Ankomah, S., Yiridoe, E. K. (2006): Organic and Conventional Food: A Literature Review of the Economics of Consumer Perceptions and Preferences, Organic Agriculture Centre of Canada, Nova Scotia, available at: www.organicagcentre.ca/Docs/BONTI%20&%20YIRIDOE%20April%2028%202006%20Final.pdf
4. Cicia, G., Del Giudice, T., Scarpa, R. (2002): Consumers’ perception of quality in organic food: A random utility model under preference heterogeneity and choice correlation from rank-orderings, British Food Journal, vol. 104, no. 3, 4, 5, pp. 200-213.
5. Davčik, N. (2004): Marketing strategija proizvoda u industriji hrane - ekološki pristup, Ecologica, vol. 11, no. 43, pp. 25-32.
6. Gracia, A., de Magistris, T. (2007): Organic food product purchase behaviour: А pilot study for urban consumers in the South of Italy, Spanish Journal of Agricultural Research, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 439-451.
7. Hughner, R. S., McDonagh, P., Prothero, A., Shultz, C. J., Stanton, J. (2007): Who are organic food consumers? A compilation and review of why people purchase organic food, Journal of Consumer Behaviour, vol. 6, no. 2, 3, pp. 94-110.
8. Jobber, D., Fahy, J. (2006): Osnovi marketinga, Data status, Beograd.
9. Kočić Vugdelija, V., Berber, N., Đokić, N. (2011): Upravljanje procesom proizvodnje I mogućnosti distribucije organskih poljoprivrednih proizvoda, Proceedings of the scientific conference Contemporary trends in European economy: Implications for Serbia, Novi Sad, 27th October, 2011, Novi Sad, Higher School of Professional Business Studies.
10.Koivisto Hursti, U. K., Magnusson, M. K. (2003): Consumer perceptions of genetically modifed and organic foods: What kind of knowledge matters?, Appetite, vol. 41, no. 2, pp. 207-209.
11. Kotler, P. (2007): Kako kreirati, ovladati i dominirati tržištem, Asee books, Novi Sad.
12.Kotler, P., Keller, K. L. (2006): Marketing menadžment, Data status, Beograd.
13.Lockie, S., Lyons, K., Lawrence, G., Grice, J. (2004): Choosing organics: А path analysis of factors underlying the selection of organic food among Australian consumers,Appetite, vol. 43, no. 2, pp. 135-146.
14.Loureiro, M. L., McCluskey, J. J., Mittlehammer, R. C. (2001): Assessing consumer preferences for organic, eco-labeled, and regular apples, Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 404-416.
15.Loureiro, M., Hine, S. (2002): Discovering niche markets: A comparison of consumer willingness to pay for a local (Colorado-grown), organic, and GMO-free product, Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, vol. 34, no. 3, pp. 477-487.
16.März, U., Stolz, T., Kalentić, M., Stefanović, E. (2012): Organic agriculture in Serbia 2012-At a Glance, National Association „Serbia Organica“, Belgrade.
17.Maslac, T. (2009): Organic Agriculture in Serbia, USDA Foreign Agricultural Service, Belgrade, available at: http://gain.fas.usda.gov/Recent%20GAIN%20Publications/Organic%20Agriculture%20in%20Serbia_Belgrade_Serbia_6-8-2009.pdf
18.McGrath, J. M. (2010): Using Means-End Analysis to Test Integrated Marketing Communications Effects, Journal of Promotion Management, vol. 16, pp. 361-387.
19.Padel, S., Foster, C. (2005): Exploring the gap between attitudes and behaviour: Understanding why consumers buy or do not buy organic food, British Food Journal, vol. 107, no. 8, pp. 606-625.
20.Renko, N., Butigan, R., Renko, S., Vuletic, A., Barjolle, D., Zaouche-Laniau, M., Schaer, B., Berner, N., Eynaudi, D., Markovic, D., Tomic, L., Kendrovski, V., Bajic, B., Scepanovic, S., Stojanovic, Z., Stoikovic, D., Gligoric, M., Popovic, S., Klopcic, M., Pohar, J. (2011): Market data, market trends and consumer behaviour report for organic products in the WBC, University of Zagreb Croatia and Ecozept GbR, available at: www.focus-balkans.org/res/fles/upload/fle/DL7%202_Market%20data%20market%20trends%20and%20consumer%20behaviour%20report%20for%20organic%20products%20in%20the%20WBC_fnal.pdf
21.Reynolds, T. J., Olson, J. C. (2001): Understanding Consumer Decision Making: The Means-end Approach to Marketing and Advertising Strategy, Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Mahwah, NJ.
22.Sandalidou, E., Baourakis, G., Siskos, Y. (2002): Customers’ perspectives on the quality of organic olive oil in Greece: А satisfaction evaluation approach, British Food Journal, vol. 104, no. 3,4,5, pp. 391-406.
23.Stolz, H., Stolze, M., Janssen, M., Hamm, U. (2011): Preferences and determinants for organic, conventional and conventional-plus products – The case of occasional organic consumers, Food Quality and Preference, vol. 22, no. 8, pp. 772–779.
24.Vlahović, B., Radojević, V., Živanić, I. (2011): Istraživanje stavova potrošača o potrošnji organske hrane u Srbiji, Ekonomika poljoprivrede, vol. 58, no. 3, pp. 443-456.
25.Vlahović, B., Štrbac, M. (2007): Osnovne karakteristike tržišta i marketinga proizvoda organske poljoprivrede, Ekonomika poljoprivrede, vol. 54, no. 2, pp. 131-147.
26.Zepeda, L., Li, J. (2007): Characteristics of organic food shoppers, Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 17-28.