MEASURING FOOD (IN)SECURITY IN THE REPUBLIC OF SERBIA
The overall goal of this paper is analysis of Serbian food security system across a set of indicators, with special emphasis to 2012 Global Food Security Index (GFSI). The results generally provided two major weakness of the Serbian food system: Gross domestic product (GDP) per capita based on purchasing power parity and Corruption. Paper points out the need to improve the current food security system and proposed a number of measures for its improvement. Among other things appropriate nutritional standards and strategies will have to be adopted; investors’ confdence must be strengthened and must be dealt with in a serious fght against corruption in the agriculture and food sector. The development of rural areas, reducing regional disparities and stabilization of agricultural production will certainly contribute to the tough battle against poverty.
2. AFSI (2009): “L’Aquila” Joint Statement on Global Food Security, (available at: http://www.mofa.go.jp/policy/economy/summit/2009/statement3-2.pdf).
3. Alaimo, K., Olson, C., and Frongillo, E. (2002): Family Food Insuffciency, but not Low Family Income, is Positively Associated with Dysthymia and Suicide Symptoms in Adolescents, Journal of Nutrition no. 132, pp. 719–725.
4. Aziz, T.A. (2001): Sustainable Food Security for all by 2020, IMPRI, September 4-6, (available at: http://conferences.ifpri.org/2020conference/PDF/summary_abdulaziz.pdf).
5. Arezki, R., Brückner, M. (2010): Food Prices and Political Instability, IMF Working Paper, March 2011, (available at: http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/wp/2011/wp1162.pdf).
6. Cook, J., Frank, D. A., Casey, P..H., Rose-Jacobs, R., Black, M.M., Chilton, M., Ettinger de Cuba, S., Appugliese, D., Coleman, S., Heeren, T., Berkowitz, C., Cutts, DB. (2008): A Brief Indicator of Household Food Security: Associations with Food Security, Child Health, and Child Development in U.S. Infants and Toddlers, Pediatrics, vol. 122, no. 4, pp 867-875.
7. Eicher-Miller, H., Mason, A., Weaver, C., McCabe, G., Carol J Boushey, C. (2009): Food Insecurity is Associated with Iron Defciency Anemia in U.S. Adolescents, American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, no. 90, pp. 1358–1371.
8. EU (2013): Foreign Direct Investments in Serbia, (available at: www.europa.rs/en/srbija-i-evropska-unija/eu-serbia-trade/fdi-in-serbia.html)
9. FAO (1996): Rome declaration and World food summit plan of action, Rome: FAO, (available at: http://www.fao.org/docrep/003/w3613e/w3613e00.HTM).
10. FAO (2006): Food Security, Policy Brief, (available at: ftp://ftp.fao.org/es/ESA/policybriefs/pb_02.pdf).
11. FAO (2011): The State of Food Insecurity in the World, Rome, (available at: http://www.fao.org/docrep/014/i2330e/i2330e00.htm).
12. FAO (2013): The State of Food Insecurity in the World, (available at: http://www.fao.org/docrep/018/i3458e/i3458e.pdf).
13. GFSI (2012): Global food security index 2012- An assessment of food affordability, availability and quality, A report from the Economist Intelligence Unit, available at: (http://foodsecurityindex.eiu.com/Country/Details#Serbia).
14. GFSI (2013): Global food security index 2013- An annual measure of the state of global food security, A report from the Economist Intelligence Unit, (available at: http://foodsecurityindex.eiu.com/Country/Details#Serbia).
15. Government of the Republic of Serbia (2012): Monitoring Social Inclusion in Serbia- Overview and Current Status of Social Inclusion in Serbia Based on Monitoring European and National Indicators (2006-2012), Second amended edition, (available at: http://www.inkluzija.gov.rs/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Monitoring-Social-Inclusion-inSerbia-Aug-2012-ENG-revizija.pdf).
16. Hamelin, A. M., Habicht, J. P., Beaudry, M. (1999): Food insecurity: consequences for the household and broader social implications, The Journal of Nutrition, vol. 129, no. 2, pp, 525-528.
17. Howard, L. (2011):Does Food Insecurity at Home Affect Non-Cognitive Performance at School? A Longitudinal Analysis of Elementary Student Classroom Behavior, Economics of Education Review, no. 30, pp. 157–176.
18. Huang, J., Matta Oshima, K., Kim, Y. (2010): Does Food Insecurity Affect Parental Characteristics and Child Behavior? Testing Mediation Effects, Social Service Review, no. 84, pp. 381–401.
19. IMF (2014): World Economic and Financial Survey, (available at: https://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/weo/2014/02/weodata/index.aspx).
20. IMF (2012): Global Monitoring Report 2012, IMF and World Bank, Washington DC, available at: (http://siteresources.worldbank.org/INTPROSPECTS/Resources/334934-1327948020811/8401693-1327957211156/8402494-1334239337250/Full_Report.pdf).
21. Ingram, J. (2011): A food systems approach to researching food security and its interactions with global environmental change, Food Security, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 417–431.
22. Kirkpatrick, S., Tarasuk, V. (2007): Food Insecurity is Associated with Nutrient Intakes among Canadian Adults and Adolescents, Journal of Nutrition, no. 138, pp. 604–612.
23. Krstić, G. (2008): Poverty profle in Serbia in the period from 2002‐2007. In Living Standard Measurement Survey: Serbia 2002 – 2007 (LSMS). Belgrade: Statistical Offce of the Republic of Serbia.
24. Papic Brankov, T., Tanjević, N. (2013): Corruption in the land sector, Economics of Agriculture, vol. 60, no. 2, pp. 365-377.
25. Seligman, H., Bindman, A., Vittinghoff, E., Kanaya, A.M., Kushel, M.B. (2007): Food Insecurity is Associated with Diabetes Mellitus: Results from the National Health Examination and Nutritional Examination Survey 1999–2002, Journal of General Internal Medicine, no. 22, pp. 1018–1023.
26. Setboonsarng, S. (2005): Child Malnutrition as a Poverty Indicator: An Evaluation in the Context of Different Development Interventions in Indonesia,ADB Institute Discussion Paper no. 21, (available at: http://www.adbi.org/fles/2005.01.14.dp21.malnutrition.poverty.indonesia.pdf).
27. Shepard, D., Setren, E., Cooper, D. (2011): Hunger in America: Suffering We All Pay For, Center for American Progress, Washington DC, (available at: http://www.americanprogress.org/wp-content/uploads/issues/2011/10/pdf/hunger_paper.pdf).
28. Skalicky, A., Meyers, A., Adams, W., Yang, Z., Cook, JT., Frank, D.A. (2006): Child Food Insecurity and Iron Defciency Anemia in Low-Income Infants and Toddlers in the United States, Maternal and Child Health Journal, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 177–185.
29. UNODC (2011): Corruption in Serbia: bribery as experienced by the population, Vienna, (available at: http://www.unodc.org/unodc/en/frontpage/2011/May/corruption-inthe-western-balkans.html).
30. Večernje novosti online (2013), Trećina generacije anemična, (available at: http://www.novosti.rs/vesti/zivot_+.304.html:450069-Trecina-generacije---anemicna).
31. Whitaker, R., Phillips, S., Orzol, S. (2006): Food Insecurity and the Risks of Depression and Anxiety in Mothers and Behavior Problems in their Preschool-Aged Children. Pediatrics, no. 118, pp. 859–868.