UNCERTAINTY IN SMES’ ASSESSMENT OF CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC RISK IMPACT ON AGRI-FOOD SECTOR IN WESTERN BALKANS
The subject of the research is to explore the operational risks - the risk of emergencies and specific Coronavirus pandemic risk that are SMEs from agribusiness sector, from Western Balkan countries exposed to, and the significances of their effect as independent variables to the sustainability of revenues in 2020. For that purpose, a survey of 102 SMEs from Agri-food and farms from the agribusiness sector from Serbia, Montenegro, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Albania and Montenegro were provided at the end of March 2020. Methods used are: descriptive statistical analysis, correlation and regression analysis, ANOVA test, Person’s correlation and multiple linear correlations. The results confirmed the hypothesis of the research - which the Sustainability risk of SMEs and farms in Western Balkan countries is significantly influenced by operational risk of emergencies and, ongoing Coronavirus pandemic) risk level in 2020. The contribution could to the sector actors’ exposure to these risks for efficient managing future uncertainties.
2. Bachev, H. (2013). Based on Risk Management in the Agri-food Sector, Contemporary economic, 7(1): 45-62, https://doi.org/10.5709/ce.1897-9254.73
3. Bachev, H., & Nanseki, T. (2008). Risk Governance in Bulgarian Dairy Farming. Paper presented at Proceedings 12th Congress of the European Association of Agricultural Economists: People, Food and Environments – Global Trends and European Strategies, Conference, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent.
4. Barker, G. (2005). Tools for assessing and managing food chain risks. Paper presented at RELU conference Rural Economy and Land Use: The Challenge for Research, Conference, January 19-21, Birmingham.
5. Beni, L., Villeneuve, S., LeBlanc, D., Côté, K., Fazil, A., Otten, A., & Delaquis, P. (2012). Spatio-temporal assessment of food safety risks in Canadian food distribution systems using GIS, Spatial and Spatio-temporal Epidemiology, 3(3): 215–223. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sste.2012.02.009
6. Beslać, M., Ćorić, G. (2017). Financial and Production Aspects of Genetically Modified Organisms, Economics of Agriculture, 4: 1583-1595, Available at: http://www.bsaae.bg.ac.rs/images/Ekonomika%20kompletna/2017/EP%204%202017lq.pdf https://doi.org/10.5937/ekopolj1704583b
7. Curcic, N., Vukajlovic, Dj., Grozdanic, R., (2016). The influence of innovation on the enterprise competitiveness, 21st International Scientific Conference on Economic and Social Development, Belgrade, 18-19 May 2017: 126-138, ISSN: 1849-6903.
8. Coase, R. (1960). The Problem of Social Costs, Journal of Law and Economics, 3: 1-44.
9. Deep, A., & Dani, S. (2009). Managing Global Food Supply Chain Risks: A Scenario Planning Perspective, Paper presented at POMS 20th Annual Conference, May 1-4, Orlando.
10. Domazet, S., Radović, V., Cvijanović, D. (2016). Challenges of increasing competitiveness of Serbian agro-industry in the process of mitigations emergency situation, Economic of Agriculture, Year 63 , 3: 767- 779, Belgrade, Serbia.
11. DTRA & IIBR. (2011). Exploring Multidisciplinary Approaches to Chemical and Biological Defense Proceedings, DTRA & IIBR Workshop, June 19-23, Eilat.
12. EU (2011). From the farm to the fork, European Union, Brussels. Retrieved from: http://epp.eurostat. ec.europa.eu/cache/ITY_OFFPUB/KS-32-11743/EN/KS-32-11-743-EN.PDF
13. Furuboth, E., Richter, R. (1998). Institutions and Economic Theory: The Contribution of the New Institutional Economics. Ann Arbor, MI: The University of Michigan Press.
14. Grozdanic, R. (2013). Agribusiness and Agro-Industrial Strategies, Policies and Priorities for Achieving Higher Competitiveness, Employability and Sustainability in the Western Balkans Region, International Monography, Fridrich Ebert Foundation, available at: http://library.fes.de/pdf-files//bueros/belgrad/10206.pdf
15. Hefnawy, M. (Ed.). (2011). Advances in Food Protection Focus on Food Safety and Defense, Dordrecht, The Netherlands: Springer.
16. Humphrey J., & Memedovic, O. (2006). Global Value Chains in Agri-food Sector (Working Paper). The United Nations Industrial Development Organization.
17. Jaffee S., Siegel, P., & Andrews, C. (2008). Rapid Agricultural Supply Chain Risk Assessment. Retrieved from: http://s i t e r e s o u r c e s . w o r l d b a n k . o r g / I N T C O M R I S M A N / R e s o u r c e s /RapidAgriculturalSupplyChainRiskAssessmentConceptualFramework.pdf
18. Jevtic, B., Dedjanski, S., Beslac, M., Grozdanic, R., & Damnjanovic, A. (2013). SME technology capacity building for competitiveness and export - evidence from Balkan countries, Metalurgia International, XVIII, Special Issue 4: 162-170.
19. Luning P., Devlieghere, F., & Verhé, R. (Eds.). (2006). Safety in the agri-food chain. Wageningen Academic Publishers: Wageningen, The Netherlands. https://doi.org/10.3920/978-90-76998-77-0
20. Miškić, M., Ćorić, G., Vukosavljević, D. (2017). Building Financial and Insurance Resilience in the Context of Climate Change, Economics of Agriculture, 3: 1019-1035, Available at: http://www.bsaae.bg.ac.rs/images/ Ekonomika%20kompletna/2017/EP%203%202017%20lq.pdf. https://doi.org/10.5937/ekopolj1703019m
21. North, D. (1990). Institutions, Institutional Change and Economic Performance. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press.
22. Notarnicolaa, B., Hayashib, K., Curranc, M., Huisinghd, D. (2012). Progress in working towards a more sustainable agri-food industry. Journal of Cleaner Production: 1–8.
23. OECD (2008). Managing Risk in Agriculture: a Holistic Approach. Paris. Retrieved from http://www.oecd.org/tad/agriculturalpoliciesandsupport/45558582.pdf
24. OECD (2011). Managing Risk in Agriculture Policy Assessment and Design. Paris. Retrieved from http:// www.oecd-ilibrary.org/agriculture-and-food/ managingrisk-in-agriculture/foreword_97892641161461-en;jsessionid=9q394go5q8fsf.xoecd-live-02, https://doi.org/10.1787/9789264116146-en
25. Olsson, A., & Skjöldebrand, C. (2008). Risk Management and Quality Assurance through the Food Supply Chain – Case Studies in the Swedish Food Industry. The Open Food Science Journal, 2: 49-56. https://doi.org/10.2174/1874256400802010049
26. Radović, V. Pejanović, R., Marinčić , D. (2015). Extreme weather and climatic events on agriculture as a risk of sustainable development,. Economics of Agriculture, 62 (1): 181-191
27. Ramaswami, R., Ravi, S., & Chopra, S. (2008). Risk management in agriculture, (Discussion papers No. 03-08). Indian Statistical Institute. Retrieved from: http://ideas.repec.org/p/ind/isipdp/03-08.html
28. RPDRM. (2012). Disaster Risk Management in food and agriculture. Rome Partnership for Disaster Risk Management. Retrieved from http://home.wfp. org/stellent/groups/public/documents/communications/wfp201794.pdf
29. Sarkar, A., Aronson, K. J., Patil, S., Hugar, L. B., VanLoon, G. W. (2012). Emerging health risks associated with modern agriculture practices: A comprehensive study in India, Environmental Research, 115: 37–50. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envres.2012.03.005
30. Schaffnit-Chatterjee, C. (2010). Risk management in agriculture. Towards market solutions in the EU, Deutsche Bank Research. Retrieved from: http://www.dbresearch.com/PROD/DBR_INTERNET_EN-PROD/PROD0000000000262553.PDF
31. Shepherd, R., Barker, G., French, S., Hart, A., Maule, J., & Cassidy, A. (2006). Managing Food Chain Risks: Integrating Technical and Stakeholder Perspectives on Uncertainty. Journal of Agricultural Economics, 57(2): 313–327. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1477-9552.2006.00054.x
32. Tummala, R., & Schoenherr, T. (2011). Assessing and managing risks using the Supply Chain Risk Management Process. Supply Chain Management: An International Journal, 16(6): 474-483. https://doi.org/10.1108/13598541111171165
33. Trench P., Narrod, C., Roy, D., & Tiongco, M. (2011). Responding to Health Risks along Value Chain, New Delhi: 2020 Conference Paper-5.
34. Weaver, R., & Kim, T. (2000). Contracting to Manage Risk in Food Supply Chains, Paper presented at IAMA Meetings, Chicago.
35. Williamson О. (1981). The Economics of Organization. The American Journal of Sociology, 87(3): 548–577.
36. Williamson, O. (1996). The Mechanisms of Governance. New York, NY: Oxford University Press.
37. Zakić, N., Popović, J., Miškić. M. (2019). The Linkages between Investments in Innovation and Business Performance in Serbia, Management, Available at: http://management.fon.bg.ac.rs/index.php/mng/article/view/278, https://doi.org/10.7595/management.fon.2019.0017
38. Zhang, M., & Li, P. (2012). RFID Application Strategy in Agri-Food Supply Chain Based on Safety and Benefit Analysis, Physics Procedia [Special issue: International Conference on Solid State Devices and Materials Science] 25: 636–642. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.phpro.2012.03.137