THE ANALYSIS OF INDIFERENCE AND THE PRICE ELASTICITY OF DEMAND BETWEEN DIFFERENT CATEGORIES OF AGRICULTURAL PRODUCTS
In this paper, the analysis of the price elasticity of demand of four different categories of agricultural products in the Republic of Serbia was described. Differentiating the price and demand of these products by sales points, and using the least squares approximation method, the elasticity for all different agricultural categories was expressed in the functional form. According to this, the coeffcients of elasticity of the price and demand were computed and between different agricultural categories were analyzed. The results we obtained show that the market of agricultural products in Serbia is mostly inelastic because the coeffcients of inelasticity and indifference of demand to change of prices, are dominant. The inﬂuence of factors on the elasticity of demand that are not of price character, proved to be very pronounced. The relationship of the two segments of agricultural market (markets and shops) was also analysed and it was demonstrated that these two segments have a slight correlation.
2. Anderson, P. L., McLellan, R. D., Overton, J. P., Wolfram, G. L. (1997). Price elasticity of demand. MacKinac Center for Public Policy. Accessed October, 13, 2010. Available at: https://www.mackinac.org/1247
3. Bellemare, M. F. (2014). Rising food prices, food price volatility, and social unrest, American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Vol. 97, No. 1, pp. 1-21.
4. Božinovic, M.; Stojanovic, V. (2006) Mathematical methods and models in economy of enterprises (in Serbian). High School of Economy, Leposavic.
5. Božinovic, M.; Stojanovic, V. (2011) Mathematical models of monopolistic competition: theoretical principles and applications. Facta Universitatis, Series: Economics and Organization, Vol. 8, No. 2, pp. 121 - 129.
6. Cechura, L., Grau, A., Hockmann, H., Levkovych, I., Kroupova, Z. (2016). Catching Up or Falling Behind in European Agriculture: The Case of Milk Producti,. Journal of Agricultural Economics. Vol. 68, No. 1, pp. 206-227.
7. Chavas, J. P. (2016). On the dynamics of food demand: a beneft function approach, European Review of Agricultural Economics, Vol. 43, No. 3, pp. 401-43.
8. Ghosh, J. (2010). The unnatural coupling: Food and global fnance. Journal of Agrarian Change, Vol. 10, No. 1, pp. 72-86.
9. Gilbert, C. L. (2010). How to understand high food prices, Journal of Agricultural Economics, Vol. 61, No. 2, pp. 398-425.
10. Guerrero, S., Hernández-del-Valle, G., Juárez-Torres, M. (2016). Using a functional approach to test trending volatility in the price of Mexican and international agricultural products, Agricultural Economics, Vol. 48, No. 1, pp. 3-13.
11. Henderson, J.M.; Quandt, R.E. (1971) Microeconomic theory: a mathematical approach. 2nd ed., McGraw-Hill, New York.
12. Jacks, D. S., O’Rourke, K. H., Williamson, J. G. (2011). Commodity price volatility and world market integration since 1700, Review of Economics and Statistics, Vol. 93, No. 3, 800-813.
13. Mankiw, N.G. (2004). Principles of Economics, 3rd Edition. London: Harcourt College Publishers, (Izdanje Ekonomskog fakulteta u Beogradu 2006. godine na srpskom jeziku ISBN: 86-403-0754-7.).
14. Momirovic, D. (2007). Elastičnosti tražnje poljoprivrednih proizvoda. Ekonomika poljoprivrede, vol. 53, no. 5-6, pp. 49-55, Institut za ekonomiku poljoprivrede, Beograd, Srbija.
15. Natos, D., Staboulis, C., Tsakiridou, E. (2014). Agricultural Trade Integration in Western Balkans: Orientation and Complementarity, Agricultural Economics Review, Vol. 15, No. 2, pp. 85-99.
16. Nazzaro, C., Marotta, G. (2016). The Common Agricultural Policy 2014–2020: scenarios for the European agricultural and rural systems, Agricultural and Food Economics, Vol. 4, No. 1, pp.16-20.
17. Petkovic, D. (2008) The impact of market structure on economic effciency – an empirical analysis of Markets milk in Serbia (in Serbian). Serbian economic forum, Working document.
18. Render, B.; Stair, R. (1993) Quantitative analysis for management. Allyn and Bacon, London, UK.
19. Villezca Becerra, P. A., Richard Shumway, C. (1992). State-level output supply and input demand elasticities for agricultural commodities, The Journal of Agricultural Economics Research, Vol. 44, No. 1, pp. 22-34.
20. Veselinovic, P., (2010). Ekonomija (ISBN: 978-86-7912-277-3), Univerzitet Singidunum, Beograd