SOCIAL CAPITAL AND THE LOCAL DEVELOPMENT POLICY UNDER THE LEADER PROGRAMME IN POLAND
The paper presents the premises for the social capital formation in rural areas, based on the analysis of Axis IV Leader measures. Outcomes of the survey conducted among 72 local action groups members stresses the necessity to strengthen the legal power of LAGs in supporting bottom-up initiatives through implementation of measures aimed directly to local community members. This would allow for establishing the positive relations of LAGs with smaller entities, and with the local community, and increase the ability in social capital creation in rural areas.
2. Commission Decision of 18 January 2010 approving the amendments to the Rural Development Programme for Poland for the years 2007-2013.
3. COST - European Cooperation in Science and Technology, 2003, Final evaluation report: Rural Innovation, Technical Committee of Social Sciences, Brussels.
4. MARD - Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development, 2009a, the Rural Development Programme for 2007-2013, Warszawa.
5. MARD - Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development, 2009b, Leader in Poland, Warszawa.
6. MARD - Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development, 2009c, Axis IV RDP 2007–2013 – Local Action Groups and Local Development Strategies, Warszawa.
7. Mid-Term Evaluation of the Rural Development Programme for 2007-2013, Agrotec, the Institute of Agricultural And Food Economics – National Research Institute, the Institute of Soil Science and Plant Cultivation – National Research Institute, Warsaw, November 2010.
8. Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development, Leader in Poland, Warsaw 2009.
9. Ray Ch., 1996, The dialectic of local development: the case of EU Leader 1 rural development programme, University of Newcastle Upon Tyne Centre for Rural Economy Working Paper Series, No. 23.
10. ÖIR - Österreichisches Institut für Raumplanung, 2004, Methods for and Success of Mainstreaming Leader Innovations and Approach into Rural Development Programmes, Final Report, Vienna.
11. Warner M., 2001, Building social capital: the role of local government, Journal of Socio-Economics, No. 30/2001.