MOLDOVAN AGRI-FOOD SECTOR DILEMMA: EAST OR WEST?
During the period 2010-2013, Republic of Moldova launched a number of initiatives to develop the trade policy in order to ensure a more facilitating legal framework for the implementation of economic and trade relations with the key external partners. An agreement on the creation of a free trade area in the CIS was signed in this period. Similarly, Republic of Moldova started negotiating the Association Agreement with the European Union, which was signed in June this year and is part of the Deep and Comprehensive Free Trade Agreement (DCFTA).
This article aims to assess the main effects of signing the Association Agreement for the Moldovan agricultural sector, while examining its reaction, if Moldova would have opted for integration within the Customs Union - Russian Federation, Belarus, and Kazakhstan.
2. Antevski, M., Petrović, P., Vesić, D. (2012) Development perspectives in agriculture and rural areas in Serbia in the EU integration process, Economics of agriculture, Belgrade, Vol. LIX, Nr.2 (177-356), pp. 243-250.
3. Association Agreement between the European Union and the European Atomic Energy Community and their Member States, of the one part, and the Republic of Moldova, of the other part, available at: http://eeas.europa.eu/moldova/assoagreement/assoagreement-2013_en.htm
4. Chauffour, J. P., Maur, J. C. (2011):Preferential Trade Agreement Policies for Development, Washington: 2011, p. 111-112.
5. Chistruga, M., Clipa, V., Fala, A. (2010): Analiza performantelor exporturilor Republicii Moldova prin prisma regimurilor preferentiale de comert,Chisinau: Institutul de Economie Finante si Statistica (Analysis of the Republic of Moldova’s export performance from the perspective of trade preferential regimes).
6. Clipa, V. (2013): Republic of Moldova: challenges and prospects on the accession to the Customs Union: Russia – Kazakhstan - Belarus vs. concluding the Deep and Comprehensive Free Trade Agreement with the European Union. INCE, 2013, available at: http://iefs.md/ro/activitatea-ince/publicacii/356-republic-of-moldova-challengesand-prospects-on-the-accession-to-the-customs-union-russia-kazakhstan-belarus-vsconcluding-the-deep-and-comprehensive-free-trade-agreement-with-the-europeanunion.html
7. Council Regulation (EC) No. 55/2008 of 21st January 2008 introducing autonomous trade preferences for the Republic of Moldova and amending Regulation (EC) No. 980/2005 and Commission Decision 2005/924/EC.
8. Grant, J.H., Boys, K.A. (2012) Agricultural Trade and the GATT/WTO: Does Membership Make a Difference?, American J. of Agricultural Economics, Vol. 94, Issue 1, pp. 1-24.
9. International Trade Centre, Trade competitiveness map available at: http://legacy.intracen.org/appli1/TradeCom/Documents/TradeCompMap-Trade%20PerformanceHS-serGuide-EN.pdf
10. Lambert, D., McKoy, S. (2009) Trade Creation and Diversion Effects of Preferential Trade Associations on Agricultural and Food Trade, Journal of Agricultural Economics, Vol. 60, Issue 1, pp.17–39.
11.Sarker, R., Jayasinghe, S. (2007) Regional trade agreements and trade in agrifood products: evidence for the European Union from gravity modeling using disaggregated data, Agricultural Economics, Vol. 37, Issue 1, pp. 93–104.
12.Stratan, A., Moroz, V., Lucasenco, E. (2012): Diagnosis of the agri-food value chains in the Republic of Moldova. Proceedings, International Symposium on Agrarian Economy, p. 302.
13.World Bank, available at: http://wits.worldbank.org/CountryProfle/Country/MDA/Year/2012/Summary
14.UNCTADstat, available at: http://unctadstat.unctad.org/wds/TableViewer/tableView.aspx
15. National Bureau of Statistics of the Republic of Moldova, available at: www.statistica.md/pageview.php?l=ro&idc=315&id=2278
16.World Trade Organization, available at: www.wto.org/english/res_e/reser_e/tariff_profles_e.htm