SHOPPER MARKETING STRATEGY IN FOOD RETAILING
The leading role of retailers in food industry marketing channels signifcantly contributes to shopper marketing affrmation. Shopper marketing is a new marketing paradigm which focuses on the shopper and point-of-sale. Results of thorough literature review on shopper marketing have been presented in this paper. In addition, research methodology includes surveying 1000 shoppers in food retail stores in Belgrade area. The paper considers and analyzes the characteristics of urban food retail market shoppers, and based on the fndings of the conducted research concludes that adaptation of shopper marketing strategies is necessary. Signifcant research fnding is that shoppers’ perceptions in food retail market require a profled approach to retail store strategy adjustments, which includes shopper marketing programs and activities. The paper opens a number of questions regarding possible approaches to shopper marketing by crisscrossing the variables of retail formats, sex, and shoppers’ income categories.
2. Alexander, A. (2015): Survey: U.S. consumers desire personalized retail experience, control over personal data, available at: httpwww.drugstorenews.comarticlesurvey-usconsumers-desire-personalized-retail-experience-control-over-personal-data, October 2, 2015.
3. Baker, J., Parasuraman, A., Grewal, D., Voss, G. (2002):The Inﬂuence of Multiple Store Environment Cues on Perceived Merchandise Value and Store Patronage Intentions, Journal of Marketing, Vol. 66, No. 2, pp. 120–141.
4. Bogetić, Z., Petković, G. (2014):Kako pripremiti trgovinsko poduzeće za shopper marketing?, in N. Knego, S. Renko, B. Knežević (Eds.), Perspektive trgovine 2014: Ljudi, tehnologija, znanje, pp. 140–154, Zagreb: Faculty of Economics and Business, University of Zagreb.
5. Brett, A.S.M. (2012):A Stranger’s Touch: Effects of Accidental Interpersonal Touch on Consumer Evaluations and Shopping Time, Journal of Consumer Research, Vol. 39, No. 1, pp. 174–184.
6. Burke, R. R. (2009):Behavioral Effects of Digital Signage, Journal of Advertising Research, Vol. 49, No. 2, pp. 180–185.
7. Coltman, T. (2007):Why build a customer relationship management capability?, The Journal of Strategic Information Systems, Vol. 16, No. 3, pp. 301–320.
8. Corrigan, P. (1997): The Sociology of Consumption, SAGE Publications, London.
9. Fam, K. S., Merrilees, B., Richard, E.J., Joysa, L., Li Y., and Krisjanous(2011):Instore marketing: a strategic perspective,Asia Pacifc Journal of Marketing and Logistics, Vol. 23. No. 2, pp. 165–176.
10. George, S. (2012):Occasion Based Promotional Strategies of Consumer Durable Segment in Kerala, International Journal of Academic Research in Business and Social Sciences, Vol. 2, No. 6, pp. 431–442.
11. Gosselin, D., and Bauwen, G. (2006):Strategic Account Management: Customer Value Creation Through Customer Alignment,Journal of Business & Industrial Marketing, Vol. 21, No. 6, pp. 376–385.
12. Kessler, C. (2004):Branding in store – Marketing in the 21st century, Journal of Brand Management, Vol. 11, No.4, pp. 261–264.
13. Kotler, P., Keller, L.K., Koshy, A., Jha, M. (2007): Marketing Management. Pearson Education, Delhi.
14. Levav, J. Zhu, J.R. (2009.):Seeking Freedom through Variety, Journal of Consumer Research,Vol. 36, No. 4, pp. 600–610.
15. Lovreta, S., Končar, J., Petković, G. (2013):Kanali marketinga, CID, Faculty of Economics, University of Belgrade, Belgrade.
16. Milošević, S. (2015): Model rešavanja sukoba korporativne i javne politike u lokaciji trgovinskih objekata, Doctoral Dissertation, Faculty of Economics, University of Belgrade.
17. Mintzberg H., Ahlstrand B., Lampel J. (1998):Starategy Safary– A Guided Tourthrough The Wilds of Strategic Management, The Free Press, New York.
18. Nitzberg, M. (2012): Putting the shopper in your shopper marketing strategy, in: Shopper Marketing: How to Increase Purchase Decisions at the Point of Sale, Stahlberg, M., and Maila,V. editors, 2nd ed., Kogan Page, London, pp. 181–201.
19. O`Leary, N. (2013): Shopper Marketing Is Going Mainstream-Retail is the center of gravit, Adweek, May 19,available at: http://www.adweek.com/news/advertising-branding/shopper-marketing-going-mainstream-149630, November 5, 2015.
20. Petrović, Lj. (2007):Teorija uzoraka i planiranje eksperimenata, Belgrade: CID,Faculty of Economics, University of Belgrade.
21. Pincott, G. (2012):Point of view on shopper marketing, in: Shopper Marketing: How to Increase Purchase Decisions at the Point of Sale, Stahlberg, M., and Maila,V.editors, 2nd ed., Kogan Page, London, pp. 9–12.
22. Shankar, V., Inman, J.J., Mantala, M., Kelley, E., Rizley, R.(2011):Innovations in Shopper Marketing: Current Insightes and Future Research Issues, Journal of Retailing, Vol.87, Supplement 1, pp. 29–42.
23. Shopper Marketing Best Practices: A Collaborative Model for Retailers and Manufacturers (2010): In-Store Institute & The Partnering Group: A Report from the Retail Commission on Shopper Marketing, p. 5.
24. Silveira, P., Marreiros, K. (2014):Shopper Marketing: A Literature Review, International Review of Management and Marketing, Vol. 4, No. 1, pp. 90–97.
25. Sorensen, H. (2009/a): Inside the Mind of the Shopper– The Science of Retailing, Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River, New Jersey.
26. Sorensen, H. (2009/b):The in-store audience, Journal of Advertising Research, 49 (2), pp. 176–179.
27. Offcial Gazette of the Republic of Serbia no. 47/11, Trade Formats Rules (2011).
28. Turano, M.M.A. (2012): Tailing your shoppers-retailing for the future, in Stahlberg, M., Maila, V. (Eds.): Shopper Marketing: How to Increase Purchase Decisions at the Point of Sale, 2nd ed., pp. 87–92, London: Kogan Page.
29. Turley, L.W., Chebat, J.C. (2002):Linking retail strategy, atmospheric design and shopping behaviour, Journal of Marketing Management, Vol.18, No.1–2, pp.125–144.
30. Verhoef, P. A., Neslin, S. A., Vroomen, B. (2007):Multichannel customer management: Understanding the research-shopper phenomenon, International Journal of Research in Marketing,Vol. 24, No. 2, pp. 129–148.
31. Vranica, S. (2008):Team Unilever-The ultimate shopper insight is that sales and marketing need to think as one, The Wall Street Journal, 4/10/08, available at: http://hubmagazine.com/html/2008/may_jun/unilever.html, September 20, 2015.
32. Wyner, G. (2011): Shopper Marketing, Journal of Marketing management,Vol. 20, No. 1, p. 44.