DEVELOPMENT OF SMALL BREWERIES AND INNOVATION IN THE BREWING INDUSTRY IN THE REPUBLIC OF SLOVAKIA
The aim and purpose of this paper was to evaluate the current market situation based on respondents’ answers and to present the current situation on the market, to find out about the opinion of users about beer, but also about the development of beer tourism, which is gaining in importance. The brewing industry was deemed to be a relatively stable and attractive industry. Brewery strategies have been inﬂuenced by several factors. The brewing industry had the opportunity for a new beginning in 1990. The production and distribution were locally oriented, with customers usually drinking local beer. It was important to find out and evaluate their general attitudes about beer, brewery and beer tourism. The problem of analyzing customers opinion is very important and significant but also complex. Innovation is an important factor in all economies. The Republic of Slovakia has a long tradition in brewing. The results are presented in the form of descriptive statistics and strong conclusion and recommendations made regarding the brewing industry of the Slovak Republic.
2. Bieleková, E., & Pokrivčák, J. (2020). Determinants of International Beer Export. AGRIS on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, 12(2), 17-27. doi: https://doi.org/10.7160/aol.2020.120202
3. Bjelić, P. (2016). Trade facilitation and non-tariff measures in beverages and autoparts supply chains in CEFTA. Technical Report, UN Conference on Trade and Development, Eschborn, Germany. doi: https://doi.org/10.13140/RG.2.2.31972.78720
4. Cardello, A.V., Pineau, B., Paisley, A.G., Roigard, C.M., Chheang, S.L., Guo, L.F., Hedderley, D.I., & Jaeger, S.R. (2016). Cognitive and emotional differentiators for beer: an exploratory study focusing on uniqueness. Food Quality and Preference, 54(1), 23-38. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodqual.2016.07.001
5. Ciutacu, C., & Chivu, L. (2015). Romania’s Deindustrialisation. From the “Golden Age” to the “Iron Scrap Age”. Procedia Economics and Finance, 22, 209-215. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/S2212-5671(15)00264-6
6. Donadini, G., & Porretta, S. (2017). Uncovering patterns of consumers’ interest for beer: a case study with craft beers. Food Research International, 91(1), 183-198. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodres.2016.11.043
7. Elzinga, K.G., Tremblay, C.H., & Tremblay, V.J. (2015). Craft Beer in the United States: history, numbers, and geography. Journal of Wine Economics, 10(3), 242- 274. doi: https://doi.org/10.1017/jwe.2015.22
8. Freeman, R.E. (2010). Strategic Management:A Stakeholder Approach, Cambridge UniversityPress, ISBN 978-0-521-15174-0.
9. Gómez-Corona, C., Escalona-Buendía., H.B., García., M., Chollet, S., & Valentin, D. (2016). Craft vs industrial: habits, attitudes and motivations towards beer consumption in Mexico. Appetite, 96(2), 358-367. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.appet.2015.10.002
10. Heineken Slovensko, Retrieved from https://www.heinekenslovensko.sk/ (August 4, 2019).
11. Hergetová, M. (2015). Výroba českého piva roste. Ekonomika ČT24, Retrieved from https://mam.cz/zpravy/2004-06/licencni-vyroba-ceskeho-piva-v-cizine-roste/ (April 14, 2020).
12. Historia piva, Retrieved from http://www.freezi.net/pivo/historia.htm (January 15, 2020).
13. Hobson, N. (2017). Generation Z vs Millennials: There’s quite a difference, Retrieved from https://www.nevillehobson.com/2017/04/24/generation-z-vsmillennials/ (May 29, 2020).
14. Janda, K., & Mikolasek, J. (2011). Success in Economic Transformation of the Czech Beer Industry and Its Social Costs and Benefts. Transformations in Business and Economics, 10(3), 117–137.
15. Klepetko, B. (2015). Pivní kultura v Česku. Hyde park ČT 24, Retrieved from https://www.ceskatelevize.cz/porady/10252839638-hyde-park-ct24/dily/kultura/ (April 14, 2020).
16. Kotler, P., Saunders, J., & Armstrong, G. (2007). Moderní marketing. 1. vyd. Praha: Grada Publishing, ISBN 978-80-247-1545-2.
17. Larimo, J., Marinov, M., & Marinova, S. (2006). The Central and Eastern European brewing industry since 1990. British Food Journal, 108(5), 371-384. doi: https://doi.org/10.1108/00070700610661349
18. Munar, A.M. (2012). Revealing the attractiveness of outrageous beer tourism. CLCS Working Paper Series, Copenhagen Business School.
19. OECD, Retrieved from http://www.oecd.org/health/health-data.htm (July 23, 2018).
20. Pivni/Info, Retrieved from https://pivni.info/pivovary/slovensko/ (May 15, 2020).
21. Poráziková, E., & Vojtechovský, J. (2016). Trends in e-business and their application in development of SMEs in Slovakia. Praha: Newton College, ISBN 978-80-87325-08-7.
22. Porter, M.E. (2008). On Competition. Boston. Harvard Business School Press. ISBN 978-1-4221-2696-7.
23. Pulec, J. (2016). Integration of the Czech Brewing Industry into Global Production Networks. Auc Geographica, 51(1), 47–59. doi: https://doi.org/10.14712/23361980.2016.5
24. Rogerson, C.M., & Collins, K. (2015). Festival tourism in South Africa: characteristics and motivations of attendees at craft beer festivals. African Journal for Physical, Health Education, Recreation and Dance, 1, 76-87.
25. Spaggiari, G., Cignarelli, A., Sanson, A., Baldi, M., & Santi D. (2020). To beer or not to beer: A metaanalysis of the effects of beer consumption on cardiovascular health. PLoS ONE, 15(6). doi: https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0233619
26. Statistics Portal, Retrieved from https://www.statista.com/statistics/444589/european-beer-consumption-per-capita-by-country/ (February 21, 2020).
27. Tassiopoulos, D. (2010). Events Management: A Developmental and Managerial Approach. Landsdowne, Juta Publishers.
28. The Brewers of Europe, Retrieved from https://brewersofeurope.org/site/index.php (June 13, 2019).
29. Tripes, S., & Dvořák, J. (2017). Strategic Forces in the Czech Brewing Industry from 1990-2015. Acta Oeconomica Pragensia, 25(3), 3–38. doi: https://doi.org/10.18267/j.aop.580
30. Urpiner, Retrieved from https://www.urpiner.eu/ (March 2, 2019).
31. Večerniček, J. (2015). Dejiny piva. 2. vyd. Brno: CPRESS. ISBN 978-80-264- 0879-6.