Rural entrepreneurship and sustainable economic development in Serbia
Rural development is linked to entrepreneurship to a greater extent than ever before. Institutions and individuals promoting rural development now see entrepreneurship as a strategic development intervention that could accelerate the rural development process. Rural entrepreneurship has an enormous employment potential. Women see it as an employment opportunity near their homes which provides independence and reduces the need for social support. Farmers see it as an instrument for improving farm earnings and achieving a better standard of living. However, the acceptance of entrepreneurship as a central development force by itself will not result in rural development and the advancement of rural enterprises. What is also needed is an environment in rural areas conducive to entrepreneurship. The author points out that the creation of such an environment starts already at the national level with the foundation of policies for macro-economic stability. In addition, she discusses what local communities can do to foster rural entrepreneurship in general.
2. Bryant,C., Entrepreneurs in the Rural Environment, 5(4) J. Rural Stud. 337-348 (1989).
3. Gannon A.,and Petrin T., (1997),” Food and agriculture organization of THE UNITED NATIONS ,FAO
4. Cannarella, C. and Piccioni V. (2003). Innovation transfer and rural SMEs. Journal of Central European Agriculture (online), 4 (4), 371-388.
5. Kulawczuk, P. (1998). The development of entrepreneurship in rural areas. In J.D. Kimball (Eds.), The Transfer of Power: Decentralization in central and Eastern Europe (97-109) ,Budapest,Hungary
6. Plan strategije ruralnog razvoja Srbije,(2009-2013),Ministarstvo za poljoprivredu ,šumarstvo i vodoprivredu , februar ,2009.
7. Radović Marković, M. (2009),“Vrste preduzetništva”, IEN,Beograd
8. Radović – Marković,M.(2006),Samozapošljavanje”, Magnus, Beograd ,211 str.
9. Stamatovic M. and Vemic M,The potential role of private investors in financing rural entrepreneurship and SMEs in Serbia 3rd Central European Conference in Regional Science – CERS, 2009