SWOT ANALYSIS OF THE RURAL TOURISM AS A CHANNEL OF MARKETING FOR AGRICULTURAL PRODUCTS IN SERBIA
In many countries, rural areas are undergoing significant socio-demographic and economic changes, and this trend is also present in Serbia. From the economic and demographic point of view, and this is particularly true for southern Serbia, the problem of depopulation, ageing and extinction of the village has arisen. The subject of this paper is rural tourism in Serbia, which is observed in the context of the new channel for marketing agricultural products of rural households and analyzed by SWOT methodology in order to capture all strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and possible threats. Results show that one of the highest priorities is the synthesis of agriculture and tourism in Serbia, which would be the basis for the development of diversification in rural communities. The development and advancement of the rural environment represent a sustainable and stable regional economic development.
2. Babović, S., Lović Obradović, S., Pregunova, I. (2016). Depopulation of the village of South Serbia as an obstacle to economic development, available at: http://www.gi.sanu.ac.rs/site/media/com_form2content/documents/c21/a384/f1107/-%20Babovic%20et%20al.,%20srp.pdf (February 15, 2018)
3. Bićanin, J., (2018). Possibilities of Rural Tourism Development in the Area of the Municipality of Trstenik. Economics of Agriculture, 65(1), 355-372, doi: 10.5937/ekoPolj1801355B.
4. Cvijanović, D., Mihailović, B., Vukotić, S. (2016). Marketing and consulting in the function of tourism development of Serbia, Institute of Agricultural Economics, Belgrade.
5. Fennel, D. (2003). Ecotourism, 2nd ed.; Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group: London, UK; New York US.
6. Kostić, K. (2011). Defnition of the term rural, rural area and rural tourism. University in Novi Sad, available at http://www.dgt.uns.ac.rs/download/seoskitur1.pdf (February 10, 2018)
7. Henderson, J. (2009). Food tourism reviewed, British Food Journal, 111(4), 317-326. doi.org/10.1108/00070700910951470.
8. Hüller, S., Heiny, J., Leonhauser, I-U. (2017). Linking agricultural food production and rural tourism in the Kazbegi district - A qualitative study. Annals of Agrarian Science, 15, 40-48. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.aasci.2017.02.004.
9. Lane, B. (1994). What is rural tourism?, Journal of Sustainable Tourism, Vol. 2, Issue 1-2: 7-21. doi.org/10.1080/09669589409510680.
10. Lederbogen, F., Kirsch, P., Haddad, L., Streit, F., Tost, H., Schuch, P., Wust, S., Pruessner, J.C., Rietschel, M., Deuschle, M., Meyer-Lindenberg, A. (2011). City living and urban upbringing affect neural social stress processing in humans, Nature, Vol. 474, June 2011: 498-474. doi: 10.1038/nature10190.
11. Master Plan for Sustainable Rural Tourism of Republic of Serbia. Belgrade (2011): UN Joint programme ‘Sustainable tourism for rural development’. https://futurehospitalityleaders.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/master-plan-odrzivograzvoja-ruralnog-turizma-u-srbiji.pdf (February 20, 2018).
12. Mandarić, M., Milićević, S., Sekulić, D. (2017). Traditional Values in the Function of Promotion of Šumadija and Pomoravlje as Rural Tourism Destinations, Economic of Agriculture, 64(2), 787-804.
13. Milošević, S., Milovanović, J. (2012). Sustainable tourism in the function of rural development - small agricultural holdings and rural tourism in Serbia, Faculty of Applied Ecology Futura, University Singidunum, Belgrade.
14. Muhi, B. (2013). Rural tourism as a component of the integral and sustainable development of villages in Vojvodina, Proceedings of the Serbian Society for Social Sciences, Vol. 142: 129-137. doi: 10.2298/ZMSDN1342135M.
15. Petrović, M., Vujko, A., Gajić, T., Vuković, D., Radovanović, M., Jovanović, J., Vuković, N. (2017). Tourism as an Approach to Sustainable Rural Development in Post-Socialist Countries: A Comparative Study of Serbia and Slovenia, Sustainablity, Vol. 10, No. 54, doi:10.3390/su10010054.
16. Popesku, J. (2008). Sustainable Tourism, annex in the publication Rural Development and Rural Tourism, Agromreža, Belgrade.
17. Radosavac, A., Knežević, D. (2017). Economic Importance of use of Pesticides in Wheat Production, Economic of Agriculture, 64(4), 1323-1334.
18. Report on the project “Encouraging rural tourism for sustainable local economic development”, Development business centre Kragujevac, Kragujevac, Embassy of the Kingdom of Norway, 2014. available at: http://www.ruralniturizam.gtokg.org.rs/ (March 7, 2018).
19. Robinson, R., Getz, D. (2014) Profiling potential food tourists: an Australian study, British Food Journal, 116(4), 690-706, doi.org/10.1108/BFJ-02-2012-0030.
20. Ruzic, P., Demonja, D. (2017). Economic Impacts of Rural Tourism in Rural Areas of Istria (Croatia), Transformations in Business & Economics, Vol. 16, No 3 (42), 31-40.
21. Smith, S.L., Xiao, H. (2008). Culinary tourism supply chains: a preliminary examination, Journal of Travel Research, 46(3), 289-299.
22. Sparks, B., Roberts, L., Deery, M., Davies, J. and Brown, L. (2005). Good Living Tourism: Lifestyle Aspects of Food and Wine Tourism, Cooperative Research Centre for Sustainable Tourism, Gold Coast.
23. Springer-Heinze, A. (2007). ValueLinks manual: The methodology of value chain promotion. Eschborn, Germany: GTZ.
24. TII (2012). The Paradigm Shift in Travel and Tourism – Win or Die, Mini Market Intelligence Brief. Tourism Intelligence International. West Indies.
25. Trukhachev, A. (2015). Methodology for Evaluating the Rural Tourism Potentials: A Tool to Ensure Sustainable Development of Rural Settlements, Sustainability, Vol. 7: 3052-3070. doi:10.3390/su7033052.
26. Vujko, A., Petrović, M., Dragosavac, M., Gajić, T. (2016). Differences and Similarities among Rural Tourism in Slovenia and Serbia – Perception of the Local Tourism Workers, Economic of Agriculture, 63(4)2016, 1459-1469.
27. WEF. (2017). The Travel & Tourism Competitiveness Report, Paving the way for a more sustainable and inclusive future. Insight Report. Geneva.
28. World Tourism Organization (2017), Compendium of Tourism Statistics dataset [Electronic], UNWTO. https://www.e-unwto.org/doi/abs/10.5555 /unwtotfb0688010020132017201809. (March, 10, 2018).