URBAN-RURAL TYPOLOGY AND IMPORTANCE OF RURAL AREAS IN EU COUNTRIES
The European Commission agreed in 2010, on a new typology of regions based on a variation of the previously used OECD methodology. The aim of this new typology is to provide a consistent basis for the description of regions, which the author describes in the paper. The author points out the importance of cooperation with the aim of improving economic activity and quality of life in rural areas of the EU. On the basis of division, the author further analyzes the main indicators for EU member states, such as: territory, population, GVA and employment in all three regions. Based on the results of analysis performed by the conclusion of the importance of rural areas in EU.
2. European Commission (2010): Situation and Prospects for EU Agriculture and Rural Areas, December 2010, Directorate General for Agriculture and Rural Development, Economic analysis, perspectives and evaluations, Economic analysis of EU agriculture
3. John Grieve, Ulrike Weinspach (2010): Capturing impacts of Leader and of measures to improve Quality of Life in rural areas, Findings of a Thematic Working Group established and coordinated by the European Evaluation Network for Rural Development
4. Miletić radmila, Todorović Marina, Miljanović dragana (2009): Pristup nerazvijenim područjima u regionalnom razvoju Srbije, Zbornik radova, knjiga 59, No 2, Geografski institut Jovan Cvijić SANU
6. http://europa.eu/about-eu/facts-fgures/living/index_en.htm 20.09.2011.
7. http://ec.europa.eu/agriculture/rurdev/index_en.htm 20.09.2011.