CLIMATE CHANGE IMPACTS ON AGRICULTURAL WATER MANAGEMENT: CHALLENGE FOR INCREASING CROP PRODUCTIVITY IN SERBIA
Years which are encompassed by the research, according to the mean daily air temperatures and precipitation, were characterized by the frequent occurrence of extremely warm and dry vegetation periods. The aim of the research is to estimate the economic viability of the production of maize, potatoes and tomatoes in terms of FI (full irrigation). The assessment of the economic viability of the application of the irrigation system when it comes to maize and potato production is done on the basis of a comparative analysis of the realized proft in the natural water regime and FI, whereas in the case of greenhouse tomato production it is done on the basis of comparative analysis of proft achieved in terms of RDI (regulated defcit irrigation) and FI. The research results indicate a positive economic effect of the irrigation system implementation because in our climate the water needs of a culture cannot be satisfed solely by precipitation, and thus water defcit occurs. This lack of rainfall causes yield reduction because it is the main parameter which increases the production proftability. Therefore, increasing the area under irrigation is very important.
2. Beniston, M., Stephenson, D.B., Christensen, O.B., Ferro, C.A.T., Frei, C., Goyette, S., Halsnaes, K., Holt, T., Jylhä, K., Koff, B., Palutikof, J., Schöll, R., Semmler, T., Woth, K. (2007): Future extreme events in European climate: an exploration of regional climate model projections, Climatic Change, Springer, Vol. 81, no. 1, pp. 71-95, Netherlands.
3. Đuričin, S., Bodroža, D. (2013): The impact of drought on yield position of the group of enterprises from agriculture sector, Economics of agriculture, pp. 25-39, The Balkan Scientifc Association of Agrarian Economists, Institute of Agricultural Economics, Belgrade and Academy of Economic Studies, Bucharest, Romania.
4. Đuričin, S., Beraha, I., Bodroža, D. (2013): The Impact of Climate Extremes on Agricultural Output in the Republic of Serbia, Ecologica, vol. 72, no. 20, pp. 587- 592, Naučno-stručno društvo za zaštitu životne sredine Republike Srbije.
5. Đuričin, S., Beraha, I., BODROŽA, D. (2014): Troškovi agrarne politike kao indikator održivog poljoprivrednog razvoja, Ecologica, vol. 75, no. 21, pp. 468-472, Naučno-stručno društvo za zaštitu životne sredine Republike Srbije.
6. Đuričin, S., Beraha, I. (2013): Evaluation of Business Performances of Agricultural Enterprises in the Mixed Farming Sub-sector and their Impact on Economic Growth of the Republic of Serbia, Agriculture in Serbia and Portugal: recent developments and economic policy implications, pp. 122-138.
7. EEA (2008): Impacts of Europe’s changing climate - 2008 indicator-based assessment, EEA Report no. 4, p. 242, EEA, European Communities, Copenhagen, Denmark.
8. Erić, D., Đuričin, S., Ppantić, O. (2015): Development of SMEs and small farms in agribusiness in Serbia, SMEs and small farms in agribusiness in the Black Sea economic cooperation region, pp. 218-237.
9. FAO (2011): Climate change, water and food security, FAO Water reports, vol. 36, pp. 1-168, FAO, Rome.
10. Forslund, A., Ensink, J.H.J., Battilani, A., Kljujev, I., Gola, S., Raicevic, V., Jovanovic, Z., Stikic, R., Sandei, L., Fletcher, T., Dalsgaard, A. (2010): Faecal contamination andhygiene aspect associated with the use of treated wastewater and canal water for irrigation of potatoes (Solanum tuberosum L.), Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier Ltd., vol. 98, no. 3, pp. 440-450, Amsterdam, Netherlands.
11. Iglesias, A., Garrote, L., Quiroga, S., Moneo, M. (2009): Impacts of climate change in agriculture in Europe, PESETA-Agriculture study, 59, Offce for Offcial Publications of the European Communities, Luxembourg.
12. Ilin, Ž., Đurovka, M., Marković, V. (2000): Agrobiološke osnove za uspešnu proizvodnju krompira, Arhiv za poljoprivredne nauke, vol. 61, pp. 101-113, Savez poljoprivrednih inženjera i tehničara Jugoslavije.
13. IPCC (2007): Climate Change 2007: Impacts, Adaptation, and Vulnerability, Contribution of Working Group II to the Third Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. M.L. Parry, O.F. Canziani, J.P. Palutikof, P.J. van der Linden &C.E. Hanson, (Ed.), p. 976, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK.
14. Josipovic, M,, Plavsic, H., Kovacevic, V., Markovic, M., Iljkic, D. (2014): Impacts of irrigation and genotype on yield, protein, starch and oil contents in grain of maizeinbred lines, Genetika, vol. 46, no. 1, pp. 243-253, Društvo genetičara Srbije, Beograd.
15. Jovanović, Z., Stikić, R. (2012): Strategies for Improving Water Productivity and Quality of Agricultural Crops in an Era of Climate Change, In book: Irrigation Systems and Practices in Challenging Environments, Ed., Teang Shui Lee, InTech., pp. 77-102, Rijeka, Croatia.
16. Kendall, C., Dejonge, A.L.K. and Kaleita, K.R.T. (2007): Simulating the effects of spatially variable irrigation on corn yields, costs, and revenue in Iowa, Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier Ltd., vol. 92, pp. 99-109, Amsterdam, Netherlands.
17. Kresovic, B., Matovic, G., Gregoric, E., Djuricin, S and Bodroza, D. (2014):Irrigation as a climate change impact mitigation measure: Anagronomic and economic assessment of maize production in Serbia, Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier Ltd., vol. 139, pp. 7-16, Amsterdam, Netherlands.
18. Kuscu, H., Karasu, A., Oz, M., Demir, A.O. and Turgut, I. (2013): Effect of irrigation amounts applied with drip irrigation on maize evapotranspiration, yield, water use effciency, and net return in a sub-humid climate, Turkish Journal of Field Crops, Ege University, Faculty of Agriculture, Department of Field Crops, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 13-19, Konak-Izmir, Turkey.
19. Luquet, D., Vidal, A., Smith, M., Dauzat, J. (2005): ‘More crop per drop’: how to make it acceptable for farmers? Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier Ltd., vol. 76, pp. 108-119, Amsterdam, Netherlands.
20. Abd El-Waheda, M.H., Ali, E.A. (2013): Effect of irrigation systems, amounts of irrigation water and mulching on corn yield, water use effciency and net proft. Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier Ltd., vol. 120, pp. 64-71, Amsterdam, Netherlands.
21. Maksimović, L., Joćković, D.J., Dragović, S. (2004): Gajenje kukuruza u navodnjavanju značajan činilac unapređenja i stabilnosti proizvodnje, Zbornik radova, Sveska vol. 40, pp. 257-268, Naučni Institut za ratarstvo i povrtarstvo Novi Sad.
22. Matović, G., Broćić, Z., Đuričin, S., Gregorić, E., Bodrož, D. (2016): Proftability assessment of potato production applying different irrigation methods, Irrigation and Drainage, Wiley Online Library, vol. 65, pp. 502-513, Hoboken, New York, USA (DOI: 10.1002/ird.1983).
23. Nagaz, K., Masmoudi, M.M., Mechlia, N.B. (2007): Soil salinity and yield of dripirrigated potato under different irrigation regimes with saline water in arid conditions of Southern Tunisia. Journal of Agronomy, vol. 6, pp. 324-330, Asian Network for Scientifc Information.
24. Peralta-Videa, J.R.; Lopez, M.L.; Narayan, M.; Saupe, G., Gardea-Torresdey, J. (2009): The biochemistry of environmental heavy metal uptake by plants: Implications for the food chain, The International Journal of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, Elsevier Ltd., vol. 41, no. 8-9, pp. 1665-1677, Amsterdam, Netherlands.
25. Perez-Perez, J.G., Garcia, J., Robles, J.M., Botia, P. (2010): Economic analysis of navel orange cv. ‘Lane late’ grown on two different drought-tolerant rootstocks under defcit irrigation in South-eastern Spain, Water Management, Elsevier Ltd., 97, 157-164, Amsterdam, Netherlands.
26. Savić, S., Stikić, R., Zarić, V., Vucelić Radović, B., Jovanović, Z., Marjanović, M., Djorđević, S., Petković, D. (2011): Defcit irrigation technique for reducing water use of tomato under polytunnel conditions, Journal of Central European Agriculture, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 597-607, Agricultural University Plovdiv, Plovdiv, Bulgaria.
27. Stikic, R., Zaric, V., Vucelic-Radovic, B., Jovanovic, Z., Stricevic, R., Markovic, N., Ruml, M., Petkovic, D. (2011): Defcit irrigation method for reducing water use of grapevine, Acta biologica Iugoslavica - serija A - Zemljište i biljka, vol. 60, no. 1, pp. 15-24, Unija bioloških naučnih društava Jugoslavije, Beograd.
28. Petrović, I., Marjanović, M., Ćosić, M., Savić, S., Cvijanović, G. (2016): Infra-red thermography for detecting drought in agricultural crops and scheduling irrigation. Economics of Agriculture, no. 2, pp. 461-470, Institute of Agricultural Economics, Beograd.
29. Surdyk, N., Cary, L., Blagojevic, S., Jovanovic, Z., Stikic, R., Vucelic-Radovic, B., Zarkovic, B., Sandei, L., Pettenati, M., Kloppmann, W. (2010): Impact of irrigation with treated low quality water on the heavy metal contents of a soil-crop system in Serbia. Water Management, Elsevier Ltd., vol. 98, no. 3, pp. 451-457, Amsterdam, Netherlands.
30. Vukelić, G. , Đuričin, S. (2012): Agricultural output growth at the regional level in Serbia, Managing structural changes: trends and requirements. Faculty of Economics of the University of Coimbra, pp. 611-626.
31. Younis, S.M., Shiboon, M.A., Aref, A.O. (1991): Evaluation of some mechanical methods of rice production in Egypt, Misr Journal Of Agricultural Engineering, vol. 8, pp. 39-49, Misr Society of Agricultural Engineering, Egypt.