COOPERATIVE EVOLVEMENT THROUGH POLITICAL ERA / EPOCH: ALBANIAN’S CASE AND COMPARISONS
The purpose of this paper is to analyse the structure and state of cooperatives in Albania as a country with a unique history, a post communism country on the development of cooperatives. It is important to understand the way cooperatives are perceived at higher levels. Information strongly influences the development of trust among farmers. Access to information and trust play an important role in the emerging stages of cooperatives. However, the development of cooperatives still remains a very delicate issue in Albania due to misleading of trust issues from the communism era. Cooperatives should not be a ‘forbidden’ word in the Albanian vocabulary but instead should be considered as a normal and trusted topic at the governmental and organizational levels.
2. Albanian Law no. 8788 “On non-profit organizations”, dated 05.07.2001 (http://www.akdie.org/sites/default/files/ligj_per_ojf.pdf)
3. Albanian Law No. 8088, dated 3/21/96 On Mutual Collaboration Associations [Societies]”, (http://www.akdie.org/.pdf)
4. Avsec, F., and Stromajer, J. (2015). Development and socioeconomic environment of cooperatives in Slovenia. Journal of Co-operative Organization and Management, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jcom.2015.02.004.
5. Bijman, J., Iliopoulos, C., Poppe, K.J., Gijselinck, C., Hagedorn, K., Hanisch, M., Hendrikse, G.W.J., Kühl, R., Ollila, P., Pyykkönen, P. and van der Sangen, G. (2012). Support for Farmer’s Cooperatives - Final Report. Wageningen.
6. Boyd, M. L. (1987). The Performance of Private and Cooperative Socialist Organization: Postwar Yugoslav Agricul-ture.
7. Carroll B., McCarthy O., and O’Shaughnessy M. (2012), Social enterprise in Ireland: a people’s economy? Co-operatives - What relevance now? P.115-126, Oak Tree Press
8. Couture, M.-F., D. Faber, M. Levin, and A-B. Nippierd (2002). Transition to Cooperative Entrepreneurship: Case Studies from Armenia, China, Ethiopia, Ghana, Poland, Russia, Uganda, and Vietnam. Geneva: International Labour Office.
9. Curtiss, J., T. Medonos, and T. Ratinger (April 2004). “Ownership Form Effect on Large-Scale Farms’ Performance: Case of Czech Agriculture”, in From Households to Firms with Independent Legal Status. 94th EAAE Seminar, Ashford, UK.
10. Didier V.B., Henninger M-Ch and Akremi El A. (2012) “The Relationship between Members’ Trust and Participation in the Governance of Cooperatives: The Role of Organizational Commitment”, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IFAMA) Volume 15, Issue 1.
11. Ganev, A. (2001). “Bulgaria”, in Proceedings of Workshop, Promotion of Rural Development through Agricultural Cooperatives, ICAO-ICA Europe, Budapest
12. Garrido, S. (2007, October). Why Did Most Cooperatives Fail? Spanish Agricultural Cooperation in the Early Twentieth Century. Rural History, pp. 183-200.
13. Gert Van Dijk. (1997). Implementing the Sixth Reason for Co-operation: New Generation Co-operatives in Agribusiness. Netherlands: Van Gorcum & Comp. .V., P.O. Box 43, Assen.
14. Hagedorn K. (2004): ‘Property rights reform on agricultural land in Central and Eastern Europe’,Quarterly Journal of International Agriculture, 43(4), 409–438.
15. Hagedorn, Konrad (2014). “Post-socialist farmers ‘cooperatives in central and eastern Europe.” Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics 85.4: 555-577.
16. Hansen, Mark H. and J.L. Morrow Jr. 2003. Trust and the decision to outsource: Affective Responses and cognitive processes. International Food and Agribusiness Management Review 6(3):p.1-30.
17. Hendrikse, G.W.J. & Veerman, C.P. (1997). Marketing cooperatives as a system of attributes. In J. Nilsson & G. van Dijk (Eds.), Strategies and Structures in the Agro-food Industries (p. 111-130). Assen: Van Gorcum & Comp.
18. History of cooperatives in Germany, (https://www.dgrv.de/ ), Accessed on 27 July 2016
19. Hofstede, G., Hofstede, G.J., and M. Minkov. (2010). Cultures and Organizations: Software of the Mind (3rd Edition). McGraw-Hill, USA.
20. International Co-operative Alliance (http://ica.coop/en/what-co-operative), Accessed on 8 June 2016
21. Kyriakopoulos, K. G. (1996). Agricultural Research in Agribusiness Sector: Multinational and Cooperatives. NETHERLAND: 4th Conference of European Society for Agronomy - ESA.
22. Livestock and Rural Development Center (BZHR) www.bzhr.org, Accessed on 30 July 2017
23. Manual on Organization and Functioning of Agricultural Cooperation Organization, Extension Service Department, Research and Agriculture Information in the Ministry of Agriculture Food and Consumer Protection/Tirane, financed by Promali/SNV, 2015.
24. McCarthy O. & Ward M. (2012). ‘Sustaining the co-operative approach in an era of change: A Case study from Cork Ireland’ In: The Co-operative Model in Practice: International Perspectives. Aberdeen: Community Enterprise Trust Soctland.
25. Miokovic, V. B., and Sljukic, S. (2012). Destruction of Social Capital: the Case of Agrarian Policy in Socialist Yugoslavia (1945–1953). Yugoslavia: Kultura polisa, 18(Year IX).
26. Ministry of Agricultural, Rural Development and Water Administration in Albania (http://www.bujqesia.gov.al/al/programi/konsultimi-i-strategjisekombetare-per-zhvillim-dhe-integrim-2015-2020)
27. Musabelliu, B. (2009). Agribusiness Management [in Albanian: Drejtim Agrobiznesi], p.189-205, Publisher: “Dita 2000”, Tirane (ISBN978999435793-2)
28. Musabelliu, B. and Meco, M. (2011). Agriculture business management [in Albanian: Drejtim I Biznesit Bujqesor], p.153, Publisher:”Dita 2000”, Tirane
29. Musabelliu B., Meco M. (2013). Economy in front of Challenges [in Albanian: Ekonomia perballe Sfidave]. Tirana, Publisher: Grand Print
30. Ostrom, E. (2009): A General Framework for Analysing Sustainability of Social-Ecological Systems. VOL 325 24 JULY 2009 (www.sciencemag.org)
31. Parnell, E. (1999). Reinventing Co-operation, The challenge of the 21st century. Plunkett Foundation.
32. Peterson, C. and B. Anderson (1996). Cooperative Strategy: Theory and Practice. Agribusiness: An International Journal. 371-384.
33. Plunkett Foundation (1995). Review of 1994 Activities. Plunkett Foundation, Oxford.
34. Qafa, Arjan (2015). “The Issue of Ownership during Transition Period in the Former Communist Countries of Eastern Europe, as Poland, Hungary, Czech Republic and Albania.” Academic Journal of Interdisciplinary Studies 4.2: 175.
35. Rapport F. 2010 “Summative Analysis: A Qualitative Method for Social Science and Health Research”, International Journal of qualitative methods. https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/10.1177/160940691000900303
36. Reports from the Ministry of Agricultural, Rural Development and Water Administration, Albania (http://www.bujqesia.gov.al/al/programi/konsultimi-istrategjise-kombetare-per-zhvillim-dhe-integrim-2015-2020 )
37. Reports from the Ministry of Economy and Finance, Albania (http://www.financa.gov.al/al/raportime/strategjia-per-menaxhimin-e-financavepublike-2014-2020 )
38. Simpson, J. (2000). ‘Cooperation and Cooperatives in Southern European Wine Production’. Advances in Agricultural Economic History, 1, 95–126.
39. Skreli, E. (2006). Agricultural and Food Policy, Theoretical and Practical aspects [in Albanian: Politikat e Bujqesise dhe Ushqimit, Aspekete teorike dhe praktike], p.175-180, Publisher: “Ngjyrat e Kohes”, Tirane
40. Sokoli O., Musabelliu B., Doluschitz R., (2016). The interaction and impact of government to promote and encourage cooperation in Albania. Cooperative Identity and Growth (IGT-ICCS) (pp. 620-628). Luzern: Verlag Raiffeisen Schweiz St. Gallen.
41. Schulze, E., P. Tillack, and K. Frohberg (2001). “Factors determining profitability of large scale farms in the Volgograd region”, Quarterly Journal of International Agriculture, 40(1):67-96.
42. Temeljni (1949). Basic Act on Cooperatives. Republic of Yugoslavia: Official Journal of the Federal People’s Republic of Yugoslavia, Nr. 49.
43. Theesfeld I. and BOEVSKY I. (2005): ‘Reviving pre-socialist cooperative traditions: the case of water syndicates in Bulgaria’, Sociologia Ruralis, 45(3): 171–186
44. Valentinov, Vladislav. “Why are cooperatives important in agriculture? An organizational economics perspective.” Journal of Institutional Economics 3.01 (2007): 55-69.
45. Van Dijk, G. and C.J. Mackel. (1994). ‘A New Era for Co-operatives in the European Agro- Food Industries’. Oxford: The World of Co-operative Enterprise, Celebratory Edition, the Plunkett Foundation.